Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. American Boat Listing....legitimate?

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with American Boat Listing (ablboats.com). I received a call today from a gentleman claiming to be from this website. The 'contact us' area of their website does not list a phone number.

Thanks,
    Joanne

2. Re: American Boat Listing....legitimate?

website doesn't list an address either.. How did he get your name and number?
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com

Re: American Boat Listing....legitimate?

Years ago, they were out of Oceanside on Long Island in NY. I have been contacted by them also, I don't believe it is the same folks as the originals. The originals were OK.
    45C360-1970 ... "Good Bait" - Sag Harbor,NY
    31 Bertram Bahia Mar-1970 ... "Bertramp" - Ft Lauderdale
    21 Whaler Impact-1996 ... Ft Lauderdale, FL/Sag Harbor, NY

4. Re: American Boat Listing....legitimate?

These guys have called me before when I've had a boat listed somewhere else (e.g. eBAY, my own site, etc)

They appear to be a "one fee" sort of thing and claim wonderful results. I dunno - what I have seen is that they have a web site and a table at most boat shows.

Beyond that their "presence" as a rep/seller of boats doesn't register on my radar.

YMMV.
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

IMHO price your boat right, list with broker and let them do the work.

I can tell you first hand that some of these guys hussle and they deal with the flakey buyers etc. Our boat has been labled perfect by everyone including surveyers. It is priced at a steal and the borker is getting heavey activity. Problem has been the buyers flake out at the last min. Case in point yesterday the buyer paid for out of water survey, surveyer gave it a detailed top to bottom and his only comment for items were 2 wires needed zip ties and 2 needed shrink wrap over a splice (these were temp repairs). He said he could not believe he could not find anything wrong with a boat this age etc. Well we went on a run which was flawless and let buyer take the wheel in the canal and he could not steer it , lock to lock all over the place. well he walked. Would not even try to take time to learn it or consider larger rudders etc. Broker said he showed dozens of boats to this guy in last 2yrs and he surveyed 3 and purchased 0. We have had others that flaked out for other reasons but as you can see the broker has to deal with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxfishgyd View Post
    website doesn't list an address either.. How did he get your name and number?

Domain Name: ABLBOATS.COM

Administrative Contact , Technical Contact :
    Kirrane, Robert
    ramericanboat@cs.com
    31 West Main Street- Suite 306
    Patchogue, NY 11772
    US
    Phone: 631-207-2335
    Fax: 999 999 9999

Record expires on 05-Oct-2012
    Record created on 06-Oct-1998
    Database last updated on 28-Jun-2006

Domain servers in listed order: Manage DNS

NS13.WORLDNIC.COM 205.178.190.7
    NS14.WORLDNIC.COM 205.178.144.7
    Dave
    "Saraswati" - 1980 53MY
    Galesville, MD

This guy has called me every time I've had a boat to sell. Sometimes he uses a female caller inquiring about the boat for sale, then he comes on and hard sells a web listing. When you tell him "no thanks," he rudely hangs up. Pass this guy buy, or better yet, don't answer his calls. Use one of the better known sites, like usedboats.com, or boattrader.com.

Steve is right. Boat sold today to the second buyer. Listed on Saturday. Check in hand x 2 already on Fri.

By the way the boat was listed for less before and no action so the broker may make the difference.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

9. Re: American Boat Listing....legitimate?

Thanks everyone for all your input. I haven't been on the Forum in a bit so I'm a little late replying.

I had received an email from ABL. They apparently got my address from my website. I asked for more info (mistake). He was a little pushy, in the sense of assuming I would take him up on the offer to list rather than ask if I actually wanted to. ie: "Ok, so let's start with the specs." Even before I said yes or no.

He was also quite adamant that my asking price was way too low.

When he called back and I said I would pass on the listing he said something along the lines of "Fine, I'll send my buyers elsewhere. You're missing out on 315k. Have a nice day." Click

Just the kind of person we all want to deal with!

67hat: It sounds like the buyer (or should I say browser?) that backed out after sea trial might want to consider taking a course in boat operation prior to purchase. It also seems he may be shopping the wrong market. If he wants a new boat, call Hatteras. They'll gladly sell him a new Hat.

It has always amazed me that some people who are shopping for a used boat expect it to be brand new. In your case, from the way you describe your boat, he may have been LOOKING for something to complain about.

Anyhow, thanks for all your replies. I am off to the boat yard to meet the surveyor. We hauled the boat yesterday morning for an insurance survey and decided to (prematurely) paint the bottom while she's hauled out. She'll be all ready for her new owner....

Have a great day everyone - hopefully out on the water somewhere.
    Joanne

Mine was as close to new as you can get. Was priced to sell quick and it did. The next guy showed up on time and knew that this was not one to let get away. It is to close this week. With this sale I am out of boating with no plans to return, just cant afford it anymore.