Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Help on Hatteras trawler question

The keel on the 48MY series I is well below the props. We ran over a dredge pipe in Hells Gate a few days back and hit something submerged in the Alligator Pungo Canal this morning and didn't get any vibration. But then the Series I was designed as a dual mode hull, displacement or planing. Love that keel.

Bob
    Chateau de Mer
    1981 48 MY

Bob is correct regarding the big keel on his 48 Series I MY. Actually as many of you know, the 48 MY (1981 - 1984) had a hull design very much like the LRC in that it had soft chines for the fwd 2/3rds of the running surfaces and a smooth transition to hard chines aft. This "dual mode" hull gave the boat a gentle roll in a seaway much like a full displacement boat (like Nordhavn and other real trawlers) with the ability to get up and scat if given enough power. The real reason for the hard chines aft was to supress excessive roll at slow speed while retaining the advantages of a soft chine design.

You may want to consider looking over one of them. Only about 30 were ever built and I believe there's about a half dozen listed on Yachtworld currently.

Walt

Quote Originally Posted by igloo View Post
    Thanks for the info. I should have mentioned in more clarity about the 20 miles offshore. Our basic plan would be to cruise maybe 10-20 miles offshore down the eastern side of the U.S., and then up around Florida to Texas coastal areas, as well as the ICWW eventually. Who knows we may later decide to go more "blue water" cruising.
    Well any Hatteras will do what you're talking about, especially if they're stablalized, however the 58LRC has much more capability in terms of long range cruising. My 53My does well in the conditions your describing. Once you have made that trip, which we have done several times, the question becomes can I cross the Gulf and not have to hug the shore line, which the LRC can do, I can't. Can I cross the Gulf to Mexico and/or leave the Bahamas and go to the Caribe??? The answer is yes with no Problems with the 58LRC, don't have to worry about fuel stops, like the the 58MY. Since none of people who own these size and circa yaht go up on plane for great lengths of time unless they have much $$$$$$$. Then you travel at hull speed and the LRC does that most ecomonically. LIke I said before there are alot of Indonisian so called Trawler which look like a trawlers . but really have semi displacemant hulls( ie Grand Banks, Marine Traders, Choie Lees ) These boats have small engine/ engines which are economical but also dangerous on a semi displacement hull. We cruise with several and in all but calm sea's they are not fun, Many times they can not go when we do because of the Sea's. There is a 48LRC>
    Last edited by ron6785; 05-16-2009 at 07:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by igloo View Post
    Thanks for the info. I should have mentioned in more clarity about the 20 miles offshore. Our basic plan would be to cruise maybe 10-20 miles offshore down the eastern side of the U.S., and then up around Florida to Texas coastal areas, as well as the ICWW eventually. Who knows we may later decide to go more "blue water" cruising.

For what your looking to do a MY would be better than an LRC when you consider comfort flexibility and ride. At displacement speed the MY will be stiffer and more comfortable than the LRC in anything but realy nasty weather. The MY will give you the option or cruising at higher speeds if you want to. The MY will also give you a newer boat in better condition for a lot less money. The drawback is the fuel consumption and the problems that go along with running a large engine at low RPMs. If at some point you decide your not interested in going fast you can make some changes to the MY to greatly improve the low RPM problem.

Brian

The keel on my 56MY is below the props, but stops a few feet short of them.

You'd have to run pretty deep aground to get to them, but of course they are not protected from objects that come from dead ahead of them. The only design that really protects them is a full skeg, including a shoe right underneath. This is far more common on singles than twins.

I once got to see a 58LRC out of the water, just across the same yard where my boat was out. The hull form was remarkably similar, the LRC having modestly rounded chines forward and still with a fairly flat bottom aft. Keel arrangement looked the same. A relatively untrained eye (mine), had to go back and forth a few times to make the comparison.

We like the layout of our boat much better than that of the LRC, for our purposes, with the exception of the cockpit. We have also been on a 65LRC, which is merely a stretch 58. We liked it a lot, the extra length mitigating the "chopped up" floor plan. We cruise slow, I'd be very happy with smaller engines/bigger props.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

As a 48 LRC owner for 8 years, having searched for one for 3 years before buying, let me off another view. The hull shape is different from the planning hull design of most Hatteras boats. The best way to see it is to get positioned just behind where trim tabs would be mounted and sight down the bottom of the boat looking forward. On the planning hulls, you will see a almost straight up hill run to the bow along with a keel that is also essentially flat on its sides going forward. Next look at the same areas on an LRC. The bottom looks similar to a sail boat hull. From the bow the hull contour runs down hill to about mid ship and then starts to ascend as it continues to the stern. The keel is also deeper and much wider. The keel base also widens at the area where the hull bottom is deepest. The running gear uses larger propellers and much larger rudders. The gear ratio is also deeper. Overall, it looks like a sailboat hull, terminated 10 feet sooner at the stern, with a semi hard chine the aft third of the length. I would be interested to compare the LRC and the bottom of one of the sail boats Hatteras built back in the 80"s. I would categorize the motor yacht hulls as planning. They have a sharp entry, have hard chines the full length of the hull and a constant dead rise. The primary factor that makes them run in semi displacement mode is the power weight ratio. I once docked next to a brand new 1984 53 flybridge motor yacht, with 435 HP 871TI engines. That boat would plane beautifully.

Now a few comments on why we chose the 48 LRC. For the moment, I will ignore the additional dollars, but they were a consideration. The Admiral and I went into our search with a short list of "must haves". Some hers, mostly mine. Her primary "must haves" were, engine room access without going through the living area (I am a daily engine room person and she has trouble with a disorderly living space), galley up, cockpit for line handling, and a dinette. Mine were pilot house (the larger the better), a 12 volt DC boat, exposed inner hull bottom for entire propulsion systems, and stabilizers. We both agreed it had to be a Hatteras. We did look at two Defevers, just to confirm it had to be a Hatteras. The 48 LRC met all our needs and also put the master stateroom in the center of the boat (no more wave/hull slapping at night). I would have preferred 471 DD but the 48 only came with 453 DD. The Admiral would prefer full walk around decks, but the 48 maxed out the salon width instead. Everybody will have different priorities, but hopefully this insight of one owner's decision making will be of some assistance.

Pete