Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Water Heater Slow to Cook

Water heater seems to be heating water VERY slowly -

It does give us a full water heater tank of very hot water after several days away, but after 24 hours the temp is just luke warm.

Other than power to the unit (yes, it's good), what are some things I might check to see if we can get er kick started?

Gracias
    Greg
    Kimidee
    '86 53' MY

Kimidee's for sale! http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1986.../United-States

Re: Water Heater Slow to Cook

Greg,

If the water heater has not been serviced at all in say 5-8 yrs, just go ahead and drain it and replace all elements and reset switch. That is assuming it is an all electric unit running on 220v. You can check to see if it has two resets for the top and bottom elements assuming it has two. Some do some don't. You definitely have an element out or going out. It will cost about 35-40.00 to replace two elements and the reset. Then worry free for another long time. If you have screw in elements you will need and 1 1/2 ich wrench or socket. The best thing to do since the nuts are thin is to grind the end of the socket flat(remove the slight bevel) so the socket will not slip on the nut.
    The store bought socket for elements want always remove a stubborn element. They jump the nut without loosening.
    Daryl Hollis
    1965 34'DCMY Hull # 33

http://s940.photobucket.com/albums/a...albumview=grid

3. Re: Water Heater Slow to Cook

Here in Jacksonville, we have HARD WATER. I replaced my water heater 4 yrs ago with a cheap Lowes model (think it costed $85). I clean it every year due to lime build up and other crap.
    So far have not had to replace the element and we get heat FAST when we turn it on....
    Only down side is, the old unit was 19 gals, this one is only 12 gals (I had to cut the old one up to get it out, the 12 gal was as big as I could fit back in without cutting supports.)
    Yes I know, just buy a water softener... That would make life too easy
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com

Charlie,

On your next hot water heater purchase, check on the one that the inlet water comes into the bottom of the tank,,,,,it swirls the particulates up and keeps them flowing rather than settling in the bottom of the tank,,,,may give you a few more years of trouble free service. Also keeps the crude from building up on the lower elements which is usually the cause of element failure. Not sure if they make one in the smaller sizes

And Greg, if you do pull out the lower element and it is canked up you would be better off to just replace the unit, or be prepared to fish out as much as you can and flush many times.
    Daryl Hollis
    1965 34'DCMY Hull # 33

Daryl, Charlie - Thanks Guys.

Plot thickens. Here at the boat now and have determined that there is NO power to the water heater now (I'm thinking now that's always been the case while no hot water). Flipped the breaker on the panel on the Star side in the salon and still no power.

Any trouble shooting I can do from here before I call Sparky?

Appreciate your input!
    Greg
    Kimidee
    '86 53' MY

Its possible since it heats up some that you are getting 110v on a I assume 220V hot water heater. That being the case I would first check to see if my 220v source was actually giving 220vlts. Then start at the breaker to see if you are getting 110 or 220. From there just check wiring to see if any breaks to the heater or badly corroided terminals. If you are getting 220 on the main but only getting 110 at the breaker for the hot water heater, breaker is bad. You may want to check the voltage at the shorelide supply for grins and giggles to see if it is 220vlts. If you got 220 everywhere then go back to last post.

Good luck
    Daryl Hollis
    1965 34'DCMY Hull # 33

When you say "the breaker" are you talking about only a single breaker or two breakers tied together. If your heater is 220v, and you have two breakers tied together, you're heater may have two 110v circuits and one of them may have a problem. If this is the case, your heater will heat water but it'll take twice as long to heat it. One of your breakers or one of the heating elements may be out.
    Will

The OEM heater on mine was a 110vac unit that was horizontal (!) and rotted out. I replaced it with a Freeman unit and now make 20 gallons in 20 minutes. The smaller units dont have a sediment blowdown valve like the 40 gallon home jobs, so you need to periodicly need to shut it off, pull the lower line, and drain the mud. I'd say the element is about to fail... check it with an ohmeter. ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

Where are you measuring the voltage at the water heater? If you are measuring at the element it will read zero unless the thermostat is closed. The juice does not go directly to the element. You could have a bad temperature switch in heater. Ron

Thanks as always guys - There are 2 breakers tied together, I assume, to make 220. One of those seems to be shot (per voltage tester - hold it close to breaker and it chirps - one of them's not chirping)

Getting closer to source of the problem I think
    Greg
    Kimidee
    '86 53' MY