Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help on Hatteras trawler question

A newbie question. Just curious if you good folks who know boats would care to give me your opinion on a 58 foot 1979 Hatteras Trawler. We are not looking for speed, and I know that cruising speed is about 10 with the Detroit 6-71N diesels (which I have read are pretty reliable diesels). However, since I'm gathering information, any opinions would be appreciated. Obviously a marine survey would be in order on any boat we buy as well as gathering any other pertinent information. With any boat we buy, we are looking at only going no further than 20 miles offshore and possibly cruising the intercoastal waterway so. Since we would not be in any hurry, the trawler idea just gave me something to consider.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Help on Hatteras trawler question

You need to first clarify whether you're asking about the 58' Motoryacht or the 58' Long Range Cruiser. There was no 58' Hatt made that was specifically called a "trawler."
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

3. Re: Help on Hatteras trawler question

A 58 Hatt with 6-71's IS the LRC....

great boats, but have not been aboard one to know the pros and cons of the layout....at least look at a 58 YF (have a cockpit) to compare with your needs as older YF is a much less expensive boat than an older LRC...these are much easier to get on and off if you'll be using a dinghy for local exploring, dog walking, beach trips.etc....the 58 YF can be found with 8-71's the price difference will pay your slightly higher fuel costs for 20 years....
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

The first Hatt we ever set foot upon was a 58LRC and we fell in love with the boat. But reality intruded and we realized there was no way we could afford to buy one. So we bought a nice 53MY. But if the opportunity arose AND if we had a slip to support its beam (which we don't), we'd buy one in a second!
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Any of the Hargrave designed hulls can be run at trawler speeds. The LRC's have full displacement hulls, but the other motoryachts that are semi-displacement are great boats as well. If you have questions, this is the place to ask.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Hatteras never used the word Trawler... what's a trawler anyway, it's a marketing thing... Most "trawlers" are not trawlers anyway!

I was docked next to a 58 LRC in Oriental and Coinjock, Knucklehead (he lurks here...) what a great boat! good looking lines, cockpit and aft deck, etc...
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    You need to first clarify whether you're asking about the 58' Motoryacht or the 58' Long Range Cruiser. There was no 58' Hatt made that was specifically called a "trawler."
    Thanks for catching my oversight. The boat I was referencing is the LRC.

The 58LRC is a great boat. If you plan to do true Blue Water sailing the LRC is really the only Hatteras designed for it. Most other Hatteras yacht have semi displacement hulls and are really not designed for extensive off shore cruising. I Have an 53MY, but as others have mentioned if you are willing to pay the premium your getting a great boat . Since most of us cruise at close to hull speed, the LRC will get you there at the same hull speed at a more economical fuel rate. Also unlilke alot of the Indonisian so called trawlers the 671's give you more power and speed, which lets you cruise at hull speed in rough water conditions. However, you mentioned that you don't plan to go "offshore" , so any of the Hatteras MY will give you what you want, but the fuel/water capacities and the full displacement hull give you the option to blue water cruise not to mention the boats really hold their value.
    Last edited by ron6785; 05-14-2009 at 11:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ron6785 View Post
    The 58LRC is a great boat. If you plan to do true Blue Water sailing the LRC is really the only Hatteras designed for it. Most other Hatteras yacht have semi displacement hulls and are really not designed for extensive off shore cruising. I Have an 53MY, but as others have mentioned if you are willing to pay the premium your getting a great boat . Since most of us cruise at close to hull speed, the LRC will get you there at the same hull speed at a more economical fuel rate. Also unlilke alot of the Indonisian so called trawlers the 671's give you more power and speed, which lets you cruise at hull speed in rough water conditions. However, you mentioned that you don't plan to go "offshore" , so any of the Hatteras MY will give you what you want, but the fuel/water capacities and the full displacement hull give you the option to blue water cruise not to mention the boats really hold their value.
    Thanks for the info. I should have mentioned in more clarity about the 20 miles offshore. Our basic plan would be to cruise maybe 10-20 miles offshore down the eastern side of the U.S., and then up around Florida to Texas coastal areas, as well as the ICWW eventually. Who knows we may later decide to go more "blue water" cruising.

10. Re: Help on Hatteras trawler question

Perhaps someone can comment whther the LRC has a deep enough keel to protect running gear...the YF and MY do not have a deep keel so when you touch bottom you likely touch with props as not. What years were the 58 LRC made??
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.