Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Carpet Question

Hybrid View

Carpet Question

Looking for advice on re-carpeting a 44TC: salon and both staterooms. What material are people going with? How much do you expect to spend including professional installation? What are the elements to be considered with such a project?

2. Re: Carpet Question

When I asked about carpet material some years ago on this forum, a professional posted: Nylon only for best wear, other synthetics next (poly products) wool last because of dampness...

Depending on hatch layouts, you can either roll back an entire carpet for engine access (0ften a pain) make a single piece of carpet cover multiple hatches (which is the way I liketo minimize edges and make engine access easy), or cut carpet to fit each individual hatch. If the latter, you need to decide whether to put flat stainless molding around each hatch, let the carpet sit in place (which often works fine) or staple some corners. Some idiot glued carpet at one time in my boat and when it was replaced slices of plywood are pulled up...NOT the way to go!!!!

A big advantage of being able to remove or roll carpet out of the way is that when entering and exiting your engine area it keeps oil and muck OFF the rugs....no way to keep rugs clean even with covers because sooner of later something will get spilled, tipped over, ripped, etc....and remember in case of an emergency requirement to get into the engine room, you need to be able to get carpet out of the way promptly....

I always do my own carpet....it's easy if you make a pattern from a roll of paper available from Home cheapo and use a straight edge to make carpet cuts....not free hand!!!! You must cut from the underside...the unfinished backing so place the pattern and carpet upside down....Carpet people hear "yacht" and too often charge an arm and a leg.....but I guess there are more cuts and cuts outs than a rectangular room in a house....
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

Re: Carpet Question

I went with wool carpet in our 53MY. dampness is not an issue since there is not an "outdoor" area - per say. I also highly suggest getting your new carpet treated with a product called "Fibreseal". Its a spray on treatment (done professionally). They guarantee that they will remove any and all spots from anything for 12 months (its renewable). So far they've come out to the boat 3 times and steam cleaned, treated oil spots, other spots, and stand behind their word. We also had all of the furniture done so that the dog can't ruin that either! Very happy with the product (I'm not affiliated).

Are you set on carpet? Cork is awfully nice. Less plastic outgassing and doesn't hold onto dirt and mold like carpet does.

Yes, I have allergies!

I'd tend to agree...wood flooring or laminate...then add area rugs for a splash of color.
    Dave
    "Saraswati" - 1980 53MY
    Galesville, MD

I used a carpet that is actually made of plastic. I will call the decorator and get the name.

It has had red wine, Jello shots, coffee spilled on it and it ALL just comes right out. If you need to, you can clean it with Bleach. Yes, that is right! Plus it will not absorb any water so I was able to use the same carpet in the Salon and the aft deck for one continuous look.

This is an area I can offer some expert advice on as your resident polymer chemist.

First, a quality carpet almost never needs to be replaced because it wore out. It usually is stained or matted down, faded or a different color is wanted. Natural fibers and nylon are the worst for staining and fading. The olefins will do well on staining and soil release but rarely are plush.

My favorite fiber is polyester because it releases dirt and stains well and has less tendency to matt. That said, the best that I’m aware of is relatively new polyester from DuPont made of 3GT fiber. The trade name begins with an ‘S’ but I’m having a senior moment. 3GT provides good wear resistance, excellent stain release and great clean ability. I’ve had it on Chateau de Mer for nearly three years of full time living aboard and have not yet cleaned it except to remove wine and coffee spills with a damp paper towel, even after they dried. Mine is an off white.

Three years ago DuPont only sold it to one major carpet maker, but that may have changed. Now as to grade of carpet, buy the highest fiber weight and the shortest fiber height and be sure it is a three twist or better. That will give the best in matt resistance. Home Depot had the best grade when I bought mine. The other carpet dealers only seemed to be able to get the lighter weights. If you will use a carpet pad, but a good dense one, again not real thick or it will be two soft when you need your best footing in a sea way.

Bob
    Chateau de Mer
    1981 Series I MY

For what its worth, I have a 36' Convertible, so the entire salon is engine room hatches. The PO installed a piled carpet that came in about 18" X 18" tiles. The tile edges are not striaght, but a curve pattern. They lay together very nice, and cannot see the seams (unless looking for them). The nicest thing is, being able to pull up the section(s) needed when access is needed. Also provides a noticable noise insullation when it is laid in place. This has been the only thing stopping me from replacing it with a wood laminate product, although the first mate is pushing for it. The carpet has a built-in foam padding on the back, (similar to the roll carpet Lowes was selling a few years ago that didnt require padding, stretching or gluing, just double sided tape). I can provide a picture if you would like.

Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by bobk View Post
    This is an area I can offer some expert advice on as your resident polymer chemist.

Bob
    Chateau de Mer
    1981 Series I MY
    And I can attest to the beauty of Bob's boat and interior. The carpet didn't look a day over a month old. It looked just as it had been laid recently. And felt really nice underfoot.
    Daryl Hollis
    1965 34'DCMY Hull # 33

http://s940.photobucket.com/albums/a...albumview=grid