Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Garmin 3010/3006 question

I'm trying to figure out the following but the owner's manual on my 3010 is unclear...

It APPEARS that two 3010s/3006s can be connected together with an ethernet cable and "share" data. Sharing between more than two units requires a separate interface box.

OK...I have a 3010c and a Garmin depth sounder so that the depth data shows on the 3010. I also have the appropriate maps loaded onto the card for the 3010. IF I purchase another 3010 or a 3006 and connect it to the existing 3010 via the ethernet cable, does all the available info show up on the added unit - map data, depth, etc without any other connection or downloaded map data? If I make route or add waypoints on one of the devices, are they automatically carried to/displayed on the other?

As I said, I have examined my owner's and installation manual for the 3010 and I can't find a clear explanation of this. The Garmin site FAQs does not address it either, at least as far as I can find...

I am interested in the because at present I move the 3010 up/down depending on where we choose to operate the boat. Most often it is down so I was thinking about adding another 3010 or maybe a 3006 and mounting it permanently on the FB.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Re: Garmin 3010/3006 question

Mike, what you describe is the way I understand it. You would just have to power up the downstation unit first. Perhaps someone else here has another experience.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Mike, that is correct. The main difference between the 2000 series and the 3000 series is that any of the 3000 series variants can be connected together creating a network. All 2000 series are stand-alone.

I have a 3010 on the flybridge connected to a 4212 at the lower helm. All info including XM weather info flows between the two, but not the chart info because they are different generations (no 3D on 3010) so I had to buy a chip for the flybridge unit to have detailed charts up there as well.

GOOD LUCK!

Thanks guys, just what I was hoping!
    Mike P
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Mike,

You can go to the 3010C page on the Garmin website and download the installation manual. It will give you a simple diagram on how to connect two or more units.

Blaine

Mike,

One other thing .... depending on your depth sounder module you may have to run a seperate pair of wires to the second unit if you do not use the network port expander. You can also download the depth sounder installation manual from the garmin site. You can wire two chart plotters to a the early depth sounder modules that do not have the network cable connection.

Blaine

Mike, if you do end up needing a Garmin port expander, I have an extra one from my 3210 bundle that is still new in the box. I do not need it because the 4212 comes with several ports and although I managed to use them all I do not need any more that would require the expander.

It is a GMS-10, Garmin part number 011-01251-01. Let me know.

I got a second 3010c today and connected it via an ethernet cable to the one at the lower helm. They are not exchanging any data at all and I don't see anything in the installation manual other than a picture showing two units connected via the cable.

I would think there would be some sort of configuration that would need to be followed to ensure one was the host and the other was the slave but so far I haven't found anything that makes any difference.

I found the menu re communications but neither 3010 will allow itself to be designated as anything but "Host." According to the manual, I should be able to select "merge user data" but neither will accept that. There is no clear (IMHO) description of what needs to be done. But since others here have done it, I figure somebody knows the procedure...
    Mike P
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Garmin support is a BAD joke. I was on their support line holding for 35 minutes when they interrupted to tell me I needed to "start over." I tried support via the internet - filled out the online form and selected send but there was no verification that it actually went anywhere.

I will never purchase another Garmin product but I sure would like to figure out how to make these two 3010s act as primary and "repeater" or whatever...

GRRRRRR!!!!!!!
    Mike P
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Sounds like you have a bad network cable. Are you using a Garmin cable? All Garmin network cables are "crossover" cables. You can use a computer network cable but it must be a crossover cable.