Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Carpet Question

Carpet Question

Looking for advice on re-carpeting a 44TC: salon and both staterooms. What material are people going with? How much do you expect to spend including professional installation? What are the elements to be considered with such a project?

2. Re: Carpet Question

When I asked about carpet material some years ago on this forum, a professional posted: Nylon only for best wear, other synthetics next (poly products) wool last because of dampness...

Depending on hatch layouts, you can either roll back an entire carpet for engine access (0ften a pain) make a single piece of carpet cover multiple hatches (which is the way I liketo minimize edges and make engine access easy), or cut carpet to fit each individual hatch. If the latter, you need to decide whether to put flat stainless molding around each hatch, let the carpet sit in place (which often works fine) or staple some corners. Some idiot glued carpet at one time in my boat and when it was replaced slices of plywood are pulled up...NOT the way to go!!!!

A big advantage of being able to remove or roll carpet out of the way is that when entering and exiting your engine area it keeps oil and muck OFF the rugs....no way to keep rugs clean even with covers because sooner of later something will get spilled, tipped over, ripped, etc....and remember in case of an emergency requirement to get into the engine room, you need to be able to get carpet out of the way promptly....

I always do my own carpet....it's easy if you make a pattern from a roll of paper available from Home cheapo and use a straight edge to make carpet cuts....not free hand!!!! You must cut from the underside...the unfinished backing so place the pattern and carpet upside down....Carpet people hear "yacht" and too often charge an arm and a leg.....but I guess there are more cuts and cuts outs than a rectangular room in a house....
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

Re: Carpet Question

I went with wool carpet in our 53MY. dampness is not an issue since there is not an "outdoor" area - per say. I also highly suggest getting your new carpet treated with a product called "Fibreseal". Its a spray on treatment (done professionally). They guarantee that they will remove any and all spots from anything for 12 months (its renewable). So far they've come out to the boat 3 times and steam cleaned, treated oil spots, other spots, and stand behind their word. We also had all of the furniture done so that the dog can't ruin that either! Very happy with the product (I'm not affiliated).

Are you set on carpet? Cork is awfully nice. Less plastic outgassing and doesn't hold onto dirt and mold like carpet does.

Yes, I have allergies!

I'd tend to agree...wood flooring or laminate...then add area rugs for a splash of color.
    Dave
    "Saraswati" - 1980 53MY
    Galesville, MD

I used a carpet that is actually made of plastic. I will call the decorator and get the name.

It has had red wine, Jello shots, coffee spilled on it and it ALL just comes right out. If you need to, you can clean it with Bleach. Yes, that is right! Plus it will not absorb any water so I was able to use the same carpet in the Salon and the aft deck for one continuous look.

Sounds like it would not be very plush?
    Dave
    "Saraswati" - 1980 53MY
    Galesville, MD

Sounds like Astro-turf.

Not that there's anything wrong with that!
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

i had the same stuff that northcott is talking about in a rental, you couldn't tell that it was plastic, it looked and felt like regular carpet. if capt. tobb reads this he can tell us the name of it, he was in the carpet business years ago. thats where i got mine from. bigbill

Thanks for your helpful replies so far. The Captain insists on carpet rather than another type of surface and use of area rugs. I do like the idea of attempting the installation ourselves, however I was vetoed on that. I can't complain because we do most everything else on here ourselves. The saving grace is that I do have a full-size steamer and I am 'not afraid to use it'. You almost have to with the traffic, dog, and diesel "soot".

Anyone have ideas on what installation on a job like this should cost (as in, has anyone had it done in the somewhat recent future)? As I mentioned it's a 44tc and we're doing salon and both staterooms. I do fear that we'll get the standard B.O.A.T. "upcharge"!

Thanks and keep those great suggestions coming! Appreciate the insights!!