Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Garmin 3010/3006 question

Mike,

Sorry about your problem with garmin support. I have had pretty good luck with them in the past.

Just a couple of questions .....

I assume you only have one 17N antenna wired to the primary unit. Are you getting lat and lon displayed on the secondary unit? If so, there is some communication happening.

What about the sounder, do you see the depth on the secondary unit? I am not sure the GSD20 sounder will communicate through the network. They can support two displays though.

What do you see when you go to the network tab on each unit. Does it recognize the other unit on each of the displays?

Blaine

Mike, you are the first person I have heard say something bad about Garmin support. Try another person, there are several very knowledgeable and helpful people there. I have called on many occasions and always get good help. Heck, they even take the time to explain to me step by step how to save my waypoints and tracks and update the software in my 4212 a couple times a year.

It sounds like you may just have a simple softwate compatibility issue. Have you noticed what software version each unit displays on powerup? If they are not the same, maybe they cannot communicate.

Give them another call. If you think Garmin customer service stinks, you are going to be very disappointed when you call the other marine electronics companies because Garmin is widely known for user friendliness, simple menu systems and great support.

GOOD LUCK!!!

The "new" unit will not display any info at all when connected to the other unit via Enet cable. Either unit works fine when plugged into the main cable that provides GPS/depth/power. The new unit does not have any map data installed so it only shows a world map view but it does show position and depth just fine when connected to a main cable.

The system view on either unit does not show the other unit so it does look like a connection issue...

I didn't realize there was a difference between ethernet cables and this might be the deal. The cable I'm using is just a generic ethernet cable so I'll check into that. I'm mad (unreasonably, I admit) at Garmin not because their actual support was bad, but because I was never able to get through to anyone after 30+ minutes on the phone and was then disconnected/restarted. Then I tried internet support, tried twice to send a message but the site does not indicate whether the message to them was actually sent; I assume, based on the lack of any verification, that it was not.

Garmin instructions don't mention the crossover-type cable at all; I assume that's because they want you to buy one from them...makes sense I guess. I'll get a "Crossover" ethernet cable and if that doesn't work, try Garmin again.

Thanks
    Last edited by MikeP; 05-15-2009 at 06:47 AM.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

I just verified that the cable I am using is NOT a crossover cable. Since I have already chased it through all the passages/etc to the flybridge I am going to rewire it to crossover specs rather than buy another cable and have to remove a bunch of panels.

Hey, until a little while ago I had never heard of a crossover ethernet cable; I learn more about boats every day!!!
    Mike P
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Mike,
    I just went through this frustrating experience last week and spent almost an hour on hold waiting for Garmin tech help. They were good once I got to them.

I was having major heartburn over network problems. I have a 3210 and a 3010. It turns out I had two problems:

1) operating software was not up-to-date and incompatible between the various pieces on the network (radar, depth sounder and chartplotters). That was an easy fix, just downloaded the free updates from Garmin's web site and transferred these to the base chartplotter with all components turned on.
    2) My MapSource was not registered (or unlocked) for both chartplotters. That leads to a "Can't Unlock Maps" error message at the top of the chartplotter screen. That too was an easy fix and can be done by setting up a "MyGarmin" account on their web site.

The system is working perfectly now. The 2nd plotter is just a slave unless I want to use it separately, in which case I just plug in a card with the map group (which is 100 charts for the Ches Bay) and/or a card with routes.

Hope this helps.
    Michael Ewing
    Southern Comfort, 1977 58 YF
    Now at Ocean Marine in Portsmouth, VA

DeeRow - You nailed it! I looked up crossover cable, learned how the connecter on one end is wired differently, bought some cable terminals, cut one terminal off the installed cable and converted it to a "crossover cable," turned the units on and they worked perfectly. Thanks!
    Mike P
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    DeeRow - You nailed it! I looked up crossover cable, learned how the connecter on one end is wired differently, bought some cable terminals, cut one terminal off the installed cable and converted it to a "crossover cable," turned the units on and they worked perfectly. Thanks!
    The 4xxx/5xxx series units ship with several network cable end kits. If you can find a local Garmin dealer, they likely have lots left over and may give you a new cable end that has an o ring and a lock ring. Might not be an issue in the pilothouse, but the flybridge might see some moisture.

I don't believe that Garmin documentation uses the term "cross-over cable" but the network cable end kit shows wiring for an "A" end and a "B" end. Great that you got it working.

I have never had any problem with Garmin, Raymarine, or Furuno support calls. Furuno often requires leaving a message and they call back within an hour. Generally, I call these guys during business hours. This time of year the wait times are a bit longer, but not more then 15 minutes.

Mark