Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

RW pump/new impeller bolt question

Can't figure this out...

I ordered new RW impellers for my 8v71TIs through Amazon - showed up in two days with free shipping, WOW! But on to the question...

THe Jabsco impellers came with a gasket and 6 bolts for the pump cover. 4 of the bolts are SS, two are bronze. Howscome? Why would there be any advantage to a mix of the bolts and where would you put the two bronze bolts? THis is not a big issue for me, I don't use the "new" bolts anyway but can't understand why they would supply the fasteners that way.

Am I missing some obvious scientific thing here?
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Re: RW pump/new impeller bolt question

My guess is that the 'Nobel Prize Winner' that packaged it at the fulfillment center is responsible. Probably attracted by the contrasting pretty colors of the screws...or am I two crewed...

P.s., my original screws are in brass from what I can see.

P.s. 2: Are they all the same thread and of what material were your originals?
    Last edited by spartonboat1; 05-15-2009 at 07:02 PM.
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...

Ahhh... Jabsco pumps are a wonderful thing arent they? Kinda reminiscent of model T stuff; FOOLPROOF. Ive had SS and bronze, slotted screws and cap screws all mixed together with ZERO results. Especially with all the bonding going on with these boats, I see no problems. FWIW... the screws are
    1/4-20s
    I agree with SB, the college grad with the masters degree likes the color contrast ... I say mix them every other one so that Dr. Brainiac doesnt get disappointed. (!) Dont forget the center plug to keep the spline from corroding, and use some never sieze too. ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

Just flipped my color combination bolts out to all SS this season.