Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

3126 Caterpillar pros

I'm looking at a 1997 42' Hatteras CPMY with 3126 Cats. I've read the threads that are critical about them. I'm wondering if there are any experienced owners of the same era 3126's (not the later model "B") who have something positive and encouraging to tell me about them or is all the news bad? Thanks, Karl

Re: 3126 Caterpillar pros

the 385's are ok, the 420's are iffy. If they are not overpropped and run reasonably, you have half a chance. Ask if the injector cups have been replaced.

I'd find another boat.

pro's- you should be able to get the boat real cheap.
    con's- you will have to sell it cheaper. When you go to sell it everybody is going to tell you how crappy the motors are. "....if it didn't have those 3126's"

There are 2 of those lovely boats on YW. One is the cheap one while the other is a dealer trade in and is expensive,(relative term). The dealer says they changed the blocks and head castings on both engines. That should tell you something, eh? I don't understand why the dealer went to all that work and expense instead of just changing to better engines like DR. Jim did.
    Maynard
    UNITY '86 36C

Quote Originally Posted by Maynard Rupp View Post
    There are 2 of those lovely boats on YW. One is the cheap one while the other is a dealer trade in and is expensive,(relative term). The dealer says they changed the blocks and head castings on both engines. That should tell you something, eh? I don't understand why the dealer went to all that work and expense instead of just changing to better engines like DR. Jim did.
    If Cat participated in the block swap by providing parts, the change out could be done for under $20K. Been there, did that once. What Dr. Jim did cost more like $80K (I think)

If the 3126's have been changed out with replacement sleeved blocks, it may be worth taking a chance on them. They should be OK for a while.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

If the marine cats are anything like the cats in the chippers and bucket trucks we ran,,,,,I wouldn't hit a hog in the rear end with one of them much less two. Cat got busy with the computers cutting cost and designed bare standard material in their construction to save cost. Cat used to build some good stuff,,,,and they didn't care about competition. Now they build everything to cost standards rather than wear standards.
    Daryl Hollis
    1965 34'DCMY Hull # 33

http://s940.photobucket.com/albums/a...albumview=grid

I sold mine (which were 3116s, to be fair, but they are not a lot different) while they still had low hours, to someone who likes Cat engines and wanted them. It was expensive and time-consuming, but I am not sorry. Cummins has been building the same basic 6-cylinder diesels since the eighties, refining them as they go along. I don't know how many million B-series engines they have sold, but the fact that they are still in production tells you something. Even the new QSB engines, which now come in ratings up to 480hp, are based on the same basic block, although the head and induction and FI systems are different.

The only Cat engine that in retrospect seems worth a damn is the 3208. There are people who have had long service out of 3116 and 3126 engines. Well, God bless them, I'm glad for them, but driving around with the feeling of having two time bombs in the engine room didn't add to my boating enjoyment. There may even be a pair of decent 3176 or 3196 engines out there. I guess I just haven't heard about them yet. Like Ross Perot, I'm all ears....

Guess I will weigh in on the pro side. If you are going to look at the boat, take a look at the right side of the cylinder block toward the rear and below the exhaust manifold. If it has the letters FAPS then I would stay away from them. If not, you should be OK. Be sure to check both engines. The early 3126 mechanicals (not the 3126B electronic) had some block wear/blowby issues. The 385 hp engines seem to run almost as good as the 420 hp engine.

I wouldn't be afraid to go with them as long as they are not FAPS blocks.

Blaine

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    I sold mine (which were 3116s, to be fair, but they are not a lot different) while they still had low hours, to someone who likes Cat engines and wanted them. It was expensive and time-consuming, but I am not sorry. Cummins has been building the same basic 6-cylinder diesels since the eighties, refining them as they go along. I don't know how many million B-series engines they have sold, but the fact that they are still in production tells you something. Even the new QSB engines, which now come in ratings up to 480hp, are based on the same basic block, although the head and induction and FI systems are different.

The only Cat engine that in retrospect seems worth a damn is the 3208. There are people who have had long service out of 3116 and 3126 engines. Well, God bless them, I'm glad for them, but driving around with the feeling of having two time bombs in the engine room didn't add to my boating enjoyment. There may even be a pair of decent 3176 or 3196 engines out there. I guess I just haven't heard about them yet. Like Ross Perot, I'm all ears....
    When I repowered my boat, there were tons of 1,2 and 3 year old low hour 31 series Cats available. Many were pulled out of new boats, and then rebuilt by a Cat dealer. If I had a new boat and insisted on the engines being replaced, you can bet they were junk. Stay away unless you are willing to roll the dice and are prepared to own a boat that most won't buy.
    Jack Sardina