Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Seakeeper Gyro Stabilization

It seems like someone brought this up a while back, but I couldn't find the thread. There is a product called Seakeeper Gyro Stabilizer

http://www.seakeeper.com/index.php

It seems like it might have some real advantages for a slow moving or anchored boat. The 220v requirement is a bit of a problem, but not a showstopper.

Has anyone had any experience with this?

Eric

Re: Seakeeper Gyro Stabilization

I can't remember the exact price, but they really expensive.

There is a good article in Passagemaker magazine describing it's workings and virtues. You can order back issues if you don't have it. It's in the March 2008 issue. Ron

Price and space are two drawbacks. For boats in most of our size range, active fin stabilization (Niaads etc) is the most practical.

Walt

That's a pretty impressive video.

Brian

I have seen them in a new Bertram...Really expensive, bulky, heavy, and they don't work at speed, only when still. BAH!!
    Maynard
    UNITY '86 36C

they were exclusively installed on Mutts for 2 years I think, now they are available to other manufacturers.

do they really not work at speed? not sure i understand why they woudnt' although i guess lift could overcome the gyro effect and reduce the effectiveness.

otherwise, if they are similarly priced to active fins, why not? no external appendages, it's all contained in one unit... finding room can be a challenge obviously but it's an interesting system.

some locations have rolly anchorages (bahamas) where this woudl be very useful.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

They may not work as well under way? The forces are going to be harder to counter and un like fins your not going to get more effective with speed.

Brian

The Bertram guy that showed me the gyro stabalizers told me that you must shut them off when underway. The use Niad stabalizers when underway. They also need 220VAC and quite a bit of current to operate. Your gen set needs to be running to power them. BAH!!
    Maynard
    UNITY '86 36C

i dont see anything that indicates you must shut it down underway... i can understand why it woudl be less effective but on plane you dont' need stabilization as much as at low speed anyway.

the site states that they can't be installed too far forward to avoid high G forces, that tells me if properly installed they're fine underway.

as to power, 3kw while spinning up and 1.5 kw in steady state isnt' that much. it's certainly not enough to cause concern about genny load. Most large boats run their genny 24/7 any way... i guess you guys take ventilation for granted and forget most modern boats do not have any ventilation requiring air con 24/7!!
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat