Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

ZF 4650 hybrid transmission for boat

pretty cool!

PDF scanned article from Workboat Mag.

http://www.steyr-motorsna.com/news/2...Boat_Feb09.pdf

Re: ZF 4650 hybrid transmission for boat

No comments from the very opinionated crowd? Are ye old farts alive?

This old fart (74) is still alive, (just barely). Not looking for anything new and fancy, just trying to keep what I have running. That's enough for me. Ron

This would clearly NOT work well for our needs. It says it produces 210 kilowats...so assume a 10% loss of energy (very conservative) from converting diesel into electricity...you'd need a 231 kilowat genset jsut to run ONE of them. My previous boat had a small get-home electric motor tied to the genset. It was truely a get home motor, designed to get the boat up to 4 knots on FLAT water with no wind or current. It was a package available from the manufactuerer...get home motor and an upgraded genset to run it...and it needed a 20kw genset.

As far as the battery propulsion idea...even the little 9hp version draws 70-90 AMPS at 2/3 throttle...you'd deplete a house bank mighty fast. The claim that the cat can run indefinitely with two of them with wind generators and solar cells...I call BS unless they throttle back to 2-3 knots. Two of them running at the aforementioned 2/3 throttle would draw 140-190 amps...show me a cruising wind generator or solar panel array that can produce that kind of power...I dare ya...it sim,ply doesn't exist. I wish it did...if I could find a way to cruise "indefinitely" at even 4-5 knots in my boat...I'd be on of the first to sign up.
    Dave
    "Saraswati" - 1980 53MY
    Galesville, MD