Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Cutlass Bearings Replace or Not?

Thanks for the advice regarding replacing the cutlass bearings while the shaft is out; however, I inspected the bearings with the shaft out and notice two things:

the bearings look fine, they were tight when we pulled the shaft and they look very well settled in the strut. I doubt they will give up their attachment to the struts without a fight.

The aft strut has a "nose cone". The ID of the "cone" is much less than the OD of the cutlass bearing. I cannot imagine how you would use a sleeve to push the bearing out of the strut. Cutting the bearing housings sounds line a good approach, but the nose cone would appear to prevent that. I do not see how you could cut the bearing housing without cutting the nose cone.

Children are coming home from school for the Easter weekend and looking forward to a boat trip. The weatherman is reporting 78 degrees. I want to splash NLT Thursday. After spending 2 days and 8+ hours with the shaft, I am not looking for new problems to solve.

Do I really want to try to replace the bearings?

Your advice will as always be appreciated.

Regards,
    Vincent

Smile Re: Cutlass Bearings Replace or Not?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it............. However, a couple of years ago we made up a "tool" to cut a slot in the old cutlass bearing up to but not beyond the cone step. I was advised at that time to just eliminate the cone and use a typical puller to slide out the old and re-insert the new bearing. We elected not to eliminate the cone as it looks like it was designed specifically to funnel water through the cutlass bearing and even though it is very probably a very small amount of water increase, it is never the less a bit more, which probably helps and definately doesn't hurt. The amount of work involved is significent and I wouldn't bother unless the old bearing is worn out.

Famous old saying "why do it today, when you can put it off till tomorrow"

Walt

Re: Cutlass Bearings Replace or Not?

Thanks Walt,
    I had about come to the conclusion you suggested after writing the post. Were the "fix" involves doing something youv'e never done before or within the last 5 years and a marine enviroment, discretion is important.

I am interested in the tool you devised. Would you provide additional information or perhaps phots?

Regards,
    Vincent
    43 DC Lilly Marie