Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Waterway closure notice

I just rec'd a fax from the Coast Guard notifying all local mariners that the lift span of the Jordan Bridge on the Elizabeth River Southern Branch will be removed next month. This bridge is amount 1.0 nm south of downtown Norfolk. This operation will require a waterway closure for up to 72 hours beginning at 0530 on Sunday, May 3rd.

This announcement is significant to anyone contemplating a cruise by Portsmouth/Norfolk, VA during early May as NO vessel traffic will be allowed through this part of the ICW during the removal. There is a tremendous amount of northbound boat traffic during this part of the year and I imagine the marinas to the south of Portsmouth (Coinjock, Midway and Atlantic Yacht Basin) will be busy. Suggest calling early for reservations.

Re: Waterway closure notice

Wow..it's about time they killed the Jordan. Will they be replacing it or just getting rid of it? I really miss being down there sometimes...
    Dave
    "Saraswati" - 1980 53MY
    Galesville, MD

See attached Marine Safety bulletin.

The City of Chesapeake, VA just awarded a contract for replacement of the 70+ year old Jordan Bridge, with construction supposedly to be complete by July 4, 2010. This will be a fixed, high span bridge (same horizontal span as the old bridge) constructed by the same company that built the replacement for the bridge in Minneapolis that caved in 2-3 years ago.
    Attached Files

The Okeechobee waterway will also be closed for a portion of the summer for cross state passages. Local cruising only. Check that out.
    Maynard
    UNITY '86 36C

The inland waterway in NJ is closed every 12 hours for about 3 hours due to the lack of maintenance on the waterway. it fills up with mud, or does the tide go out?? LOL