Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: 12v and 110v waterpumps

Quote Originally Posted by Nonchalant1 View Post
    It runs through the little blue box which measures water used from the tank only (as the dock water line comes in after the blue water meter box). When I refill the water tank, I reset the water meter to zero, so I always know how much is left in the tanks.

Doug Shuman
    BRILLIANT! Where did you get it?
    Dave
    "Saraswati" - 1980 53MY
    Galesville, MD

I have often thought of adding a second water pump in case the GM should quit while cruising. As Pascal noted, cruising with no water is not fun. So far I have done nothing except carry replacement stators for the pump. Of course it the motor fails, we're SOL. I see that a lot of folks have a 32VDC and a 110VAC pump but why? Why not just have a backup 32 available to supply water if the other fails? We have an inverter so we would connect the 110 to the inverter but I don't understand why add a 110 in the first place. You could plumb in a second 32 with valves and just extend the wiring from one pump to the other with a simple on/off switch to either allow power to the back up or not.

Obviously, since a many folks installed a 110vac pump as opposed to a second 32vdc, there must be something I'm missing. What is it?
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

110 or 220 pumps are more efficient but there needs to be a point where you say KISS.

I like the idea of a spare DC pump. Wired and plumbed with crossovers

I may have to try that.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

In most cases the 110v pump offers more pressure and is more reliable than the 32v pump. I think the pressure issue is the real reason for adding it. You know women and their need for good water pressure when washing their hair.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I have the pressure down low (35 PSI or less) so the 150 gals I carry will last a bit longer. We can go out for 2 days with a full tank and take quick showers with 3-4 people. if I had more pressure more would go out the sink and shower leaving us too small of a supply.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

My boat came with a Craftsman Shallow Well Pump(wired for 240, but could be wired for 120) and a defunct Galley Maid. The PO always was on generator or shore power, liked to cycle water through the tanks, and liked the extra oomph from the Craftsman. Purportedly the system had been beefed up a little to handle, say, 50+psi, which it certainly has in almost two years of full time live aboard use, but I am a little skeptical.

Anyway, the thing's fairly inexpensive and parts are readily available, and it is somewhat simple to work on.

After much frustration, I got my DC pump situation worked out; the PO had taken it's dedicated pressure tank off and commonly plumbed both pumps to a large Well-Trol tank. The diaphragm GM didn't like that, and its mounted pressure switch kept chattering on and off burning up pumps and switches along the way. We eventually solved this by moving the GM's pressure switch up close to the Well-trol, well downstream of the pump, and all has been very well for several months. We primarily use the Craftsman when we have the generator running and want to wash clothes, dishes and take showers indiscriminately.

If it was up to me, I too would go with two DC pumps, which you can gang so they both run in parallel if demand overwhelms one of them.

We have the rugged and fancy Watercounter on our boat. Since we live on a mooring a good part of the year, and anchor out when cruising, this thing has been very handy, one of the best adds to the boat. The people who make the Wet Spot softener system sell an inexpensive version for about 70 bucks that just keeps a cumulative count, for the purpose of calculating when it is time to recharge the softener. I have thought of getting one of these for sticking on the hose when we refill the tanks, since I know exactly how much water is needed; in the "nice to have" not "need to have" category.

Here's ours once I got it straightened out a bit; could still use a little tidying up, but it works, so down The List the "tidying" goes!

Last edited by GJH; 03-31-2009 at 10:10 PM.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

Headhunter makes a 12v version as well.

Their pumps make your setups look like the flintstones. Do it right buy their pump and be done with it. Quiet, powerful, efficient, light weight, easily maintained if necessary etc etc.

The best money I spent renovating my vessel.

garyd
    Have Fun Boating

Quote Originally Posted by stormchaser View Post
    BRILLIANT! Where did you get it?
    Dave,

It was on-line. There is another thread about it with picture and model / mfgr. info. We're cruising now and I don't have that here. It was not expensive though.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    I have often thought of adding a second water pump in case the GM should quit while cruising. As Pascal noted, cruising with no water is not fun. So far I have done nothing except carry replacement stators for the pump. Of course it the motor fails, we're SOL. I see that a lot of folks have a 32VDC and a 110VAC pump but why? Why not just have a backup 32 available to supply water if the other fails? We have an inverter so we would connect the 110 to the inverter but I don't understand why add a 110 in the first place. You could plumb in a second 32 with valves and just extend the wiring from one pump to the other with a simple on/off switch to either allow power to the back up or not.

Obviously, since a many folks installed a 110vac pump as opposed to a second 32vdc, there must be something I'm missing. What is it?

When you're plugged in, it doesn't use the batteries. Most boats are plugged in 80% of the time or more. Also, as you say, it can be run from and inverter or genny if not.

what i like about the 110v pumps is that they dont' use stators, diaphragms or impellers, they're really the only ones you can use 24/76/365 without worrying about wear. Important when you liveaboard since at the dock i like running off the water tanks to cycle the contents
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat