Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Re: The Trilogy Begins

Here are a few of the galley. Little princess removed. Anyone having a three burner in good shape let me know. I have seen a 2 burner glass top been thinking about instead. Also the yellow wallpaper has been removed between the teak trim.....may vaneer some holley or lighter wood there or paint. What say you guys.
    Last edited by mobilemn1; 04-06-2009 at 01:40 AM.

If you remembered from a previous pic, this is the damage that wicked from the right side door. There will be a pic somewhere in the new ones that are a little closer up showing that damage. Internally this is the worst and only spot in the boat that is what I call bad. The left entry door just has a little dark spot in the wood from the same reason. YM Bill's trick may work there and bring the wood back out. ( he did say if the wood was soft that it could take the wood with the finish), will find out when I get to that part. Of no concern right now though. These few pics show the damage in the fore head. (After reading that thought I may need to clarify,,,,not my forehead) sometimes I crack myself up...LOL. Hell and after reading that I realized that the opinion clause that is undisclosed would have to handle the issue.
    Last edited by mobilemn1; 04-06-2009 at 01:42 AM.

The following pics are just systems like lectra/san, fresh water pump, to the fore right of the pump you can see the base of the 6gal hotwater heater,,,,,casing is rusted and pealing, may have to go will have to test that one out and clean it up
    Last edited by mobilemn1; 04-06-2009 at 01:44 AM.

these are pics of some of the electricals,,,,I'm a little anal when it comes to wiring,,,,,bubba was here as you can see. I will definitely take some time with this issue as I move into that area. I really in the long run intend to completely rewire the boats systems and straighten the panel wiring out.
    Last edited by mobilemn1; 04-06-2009 at 01:46 AM.

some more wire and components
    Last edited by mobilemn1; 04-06-2009 at 01:48 AM.

"Saved the Best for Last" We did turn the motors over by hand today and they are very free. All of the hoses look as if they were installed just a few months ago even though I know they were done 5+yrs ago. The bilges are very dirty as you can see and will need cleaning as best I can when I get to that and painted. I had not checked the bilge water for about three weeks and there was only about 3 inches with heavy rains for the past three weeks. I have talked about the bilge water earlier and still need some good ideas for checking for leaks while in the water. I want be able to haul it for a while yet and if everything goes well maybe not til fall.
    Last edited by mobilemn1; 04-06-2009 at 01:52 AM.

Everyone saw the first dirty pics with chip paint and the like. a couple of months after those pics were taken is when I pressure washed the old gal. You can really tell the difference as all the black is gone, the blue stripe is almost gone, the boat overall looks much cleaner and is. As I thought with the remaining paint last fall was after cleaning and drying good the balance of the loose paint would get a new chance to peele and it has. One more pressure washing on a warm weekend and I believe I will eliminate some scraping before getting the sanded started. Hopefully before summer gets here. I agree with most of you about getting the cosmetics done for all the reasons stated and that is kinda the way I had planned it. I believe I will be able to paint it all the way to the waterline stripe by summer or at least that;s the goal. Got a little body work to do first. A few voids and some rough places I want to repair before even doing a paint job that last a few years as some have reccommended.

So here is the final pic for a little while until I get into the systems a little more. It is of the boat from a distance,,,notice the difference. The 94 GMC Southern Comfort custom ain't bad either. How would those colors look on the Hull with white or pale blue top.........
    Last edited by mobilemn1; 05-29-2009 at 09:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by akintosyali View Post
    it took me 2 years to redo my 1965 41dc.
    other than the hull, everything is basically new.

Few tips from experience:
    Make a list of things you want to do. Classify them as cosmetic versus structural. Then pick only 3 projects to do. Resist all temptation to start a new project while you are working on the 3 you picked.

if and when you discover a new project, just add it to the list.

Also, make a list of things you did accomplish! it will make you feel really good.

Akin, I missed the links when I originally read your post. thanks and that is one good looking boat now. I will be glad to see mine turn out that well. You guys keep pumping me up and giving me ideas. That is why I like this forum.....Honest, down to earth, constructive ideas that keep you motivated.

WOW - You are where I was 2 years ago..

Good luck, and feel free to ask any questions here. From economic way to clean bilges (Tide!) to replacing wiring, toilets, tanks, flooring, been there, done that.
    Akin Tosyali
    Hatteras 41 -Barbaros

Chicago

Barbaros, Hatteras 41' Before and after restoration

Hey Ross, dropped you the email. I think you may be right about the water. I got just a little damage at the port entry aswell. If you look close you will see about a 4" circle right at the door. the Starboard was the worse on. The old boys who owned her, health was getting bad. He caulked witha water base cauld and painted to get by. I think the worse of the damage came after he was not able to work on her after that. According to the man in the house up on the hill behind the boat, the old guy loved that boat and babied her til his death. Not sure if it were Floyd or which hurricane that hit Hertford about 6 yrs ago but this boat stayed in the water. He had another boat there about 32 foot (not Hatteras)that had twin 350's. It washed up on the bank in the surge right by the canal. They abandoned the property and boats and a fellow from Atlantic beach who does RE speculating ended up with the property and the boat somehow through taxes, foreclosure, somehow,,,haven't gotten the full skinny on that. They were getting ready to cut this one up for the motors if I hadn't come along. I figured he was going to ask about 10k for her....when he accepted my offer for three,,,I couldn't resist. He did tell me that since he owned the property that I could leave it there as long as no one complained. A buddy of mine rents the house and he kinda helps me keep an eye on her when I am not there or around. It works right now,,,but would like to get her to Mackeys or Washington. About half the distance I am driving now.