Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

new system for servicing batteries

I found this link on another site. It seems like a good and easy way to service batteries. our batteries are in hard to reach placeses. Could this system be the trick?

http://www.flow-rite.com/qwik-fill/i...u=0&sub_menu=2
    Mario
    1972 58' Hatteras Yachtfisherman
    Siboney

Re: new system for servicing batteries

Since it has a pressure bulb, there must be something like a needle/seat like a carburator has in that portion that fits on top of the batt to prevent overfilling.

Actually looks like a fair idea. But obviously you would have to check occasionally to be sure that whatever valve prevents overfilling was working to ensure it was actually stopping the flow as it was supposed to - not overfilling and/or that it wasn't clogged and that the water was actually going in as it was supposed to.

I have to admit that it makes me a little uncomfortable because you are depending on a device that actually makes something technically foolproof (pour water into a hole while you watch) into to something complicated. HOWEVER, I agree that it would be a lot more convenient, just not sure I'd trust it.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Hmm, Good point.
    Mario
    1972 58' Hatteras Yachtfisherman
    Siboney

Check out the fill jug in the this link. This has been the way professionals fill batteries for 50 years. I've not been using mine quite that long. It's near bullet proof. You just stick the spout in the cell, push down to open the spring loaded valve and listen for it to quit going glug-glug. The water stops going in when the level reaches the end of the spout which is just long enough to bring the water to the correct level.

It avoids the risk of splashing acid in your eyes of face by hanging over the battery to look at the water level. (even with safety glasses)

http://www.armysurpluswarehouse.com/...r-jug-2765.cfm

Quote Originally Posted by DCMY #92 View Post
    Check out the fill jug in the this link. This has been the way professionals fill batteries for 50 years. I've not been using mine quite that long. It's near bullet proof. You just stick the spout in the cell, push down to open the spring loaded valve and listen for it to quit going glug-glug. The water stops going in when the level reaches the end of the spout which is just long enough to bring the water to the correct level.

It avoids the risk of splashing acid in your eyes of face by hanging over the battery to look at the water level. (even with safety glasses)

http://www.armysurpluswarehouse.com/...r-jug-2765.cfm
    I have had one of those on my boat ever since I bought it. Only problem is that it's set for Interstate level fill (my starting bank) and Rolls (house bank) has a deeper fill level, so they overfill just a tad. Great device. I used them when I was a mechanic in the garage at Sears.

Doug

Be careful to check the length of the spout on those. Some will actually touch the plates. This can bend them over and short them out.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Yeah, I use that same "old tech" battery filler on our boat. Hard to argue with something that simple...
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Here's a less expensive alternative also multi purpose!!

Brian
    Attached Images

9. Re: new system for servicing batteries

On a 43'...
    Well, least on mine, there is no easy or fun way...
    I have to pull up two panals per side....
    slide my body (which is not that of a ballet dancer) to the outside of the engine.... And then pull the damn caps off..
    It is NOT fun...
    Luckily since I replaced my 8D's with group 24's, and also put a new charger in 3 yrs ago, it's a lot easier, and have had to actually put a LOT less water in, as in once a year....
    But according to my schedule, it's due to be checked again the beginning of next month.. I really need to find/hire some small "far eastern female" to do the job.....
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com

If you can fit them in, Hydro Caps have a pretty good reputation for reducing battery water consumption - but at a cost. I understand they also get pretty hot when recharging the battery.

http://www.ecovantageenergy.com/cata...ems/item33.htm