Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Help - Advice on Helm pump replacement

So after finding the strange 3/8 flare to #5 pipe fitting, I installed the helm pump and it was still leaking (by the shaft). I had already spend $350 on its rebuild and I have no intention on spending another $350.

Here is the current/old Crowell system:
    http://www.tosyali.com/2006/Hatteras...ture%20010.jpg

I am thinking about SeaStar HH 5262, rear Mount 2.4:
    http://www.foreandaftmarine.com/1-HH5260.htm

A few questions:
    1- the current helm has a feed back loop installed on top as you can see in the picture. Can I just put a plug on that? What usually feeds this feed back system? I do not want to damage rest of the system

2-The current helm has a shaft opening that is 1" thick, and this helm has a 3/4" shaft. Is there an adapter I can get to make the current wheel fit the new shaft?
    Akin Tosyali
    Hatteras 41 -Barbaros

Chicago

Barbaros, Hatteras 41' Before and after restoration

Re: Help - Advice on Helm pump replacement

If the wheel seal is still leaking YOU can easily take it apart and replace the seal your self. Any hydrulic place should have the seal. Even if you mess up your still in the same boat. It's sure worth a try. It may be that the seal was OK at first, but if you used trans fluid instead of the required aircraft fluid the trans fluid could attack the seal.

BILL

the seals were for use by atf trans fluid as well..
    Akin Tosyali
    Hatteras 41 -Barbaros

Chicago

Just replace te seals and service the system with mil 5606 fluid. That is a lot easier and much cheaper than trying to adapt a different pump and wheel adaptors etc. This is not rocket science for sure.
    Maynard
    UNITY '86 36C

Yes you can get an adaptor to go from 3/4" taper to 1" straight Edison makes them. Seastar has a few diffrent sytems but I'm pretty sure all require only 2 hyd lines to the cylinder no lock valve no air tank no nothing and they work great.

If you have trouble finding the adaptor PM me I can get for you.

Brian

The seals were replaced a week ago, so I no longer think that it is the seals.
    Akin Tosyali
    Hatteras 41 -Barbaros

Chicago