Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 50,52 or 55

50,52 or 55

I will be using the boat for offshore fishing most of the time.. what do you guys think?

Re: 50,52 or 55

buy the most boat you can afford and handle. big boat lust aside, check out the insurance rates, marina and travelift rates as well. there might be a big jump in costs between one size and the next costing you many extra thousands each year for the gain of a few feet.
    '68 41'TCMY

The 50 has a very small cockpit - 92 sq ft I think.

The 55 is a much larger boat than either the 50 or 52 - check the weight and beam. This means serious fuel burn and only moderate speed. My friend's 55 had her 1271's jacked to the max and could hit 27knots but the burned was huge. Also, if you want to repower, it willl be very expensive - you will be looking at C32 and the like.

I think the 52 is a good compromise - plus you can repower with QSM11 - 715's and get good performance and economy.

I'd buy based on engine room....must have full height walk in engine room for me.

I agree with the comment above. I looked at a 50 that was a great deal a few years ago and found the cockpit way too small, you hit the fighting chair when you opened the engine room door.

I like the 52 also.

I just bought a 1987 55' a month ago. Just love it. great fishing boat as well as family boat.

Check out the pictures in the gallery under Habanero.

Mike

55 is the best of the models that you talked about. The 52C is just a 50C streched. If you can pull it off there is a new 50C with C18 engines that has not sold. That can be bought for a still. Contact Jan Boone at Jarrett Bay for pricing. Great boat for the money. I mean a real still. Be sure to tell Jan that I sent you to her.
    Roger Wetherington
    252-670-4819 rwetheringt@centurylink.net
    Sam's Marine
    www.samsmarine.com

The 52 with the galley down configuration would be my choice. I currently have a 46. Its a great fishing boat. Only draw back is there is no cockpit engine room access. That and the galley down makes me want to upgrade to a 52....

Captned
    MBMM
    Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Assuming that you are considering the older (1982-1988) 50, 52, 55's I can shed some knowledge having spent many hours on both fishing the Bahamas. Both are very good sea boats (heavy) and perform about the same with original power (8v92, 12-71TI's) with fuel burn higher as expected with the 12cylinders.

The 55 with its 17'6" beam vs the 16'4" is indeed BIGGER. The interior volume is very noticeable allowing the 3rd head, higher headroom in the engine room, slightly better outboard access and much more room aft of engines. Major drawback IMHO is the station wagon effect. Expect a wet cockpit in choppy to rough seas at trolling speed. The 52 with its narrower beam is MUCH drier.

Both very stable offshore platforms, well laid out comfortable fishing boats. As mentioned above by St. Tully the 52 with QSM's is a very good performer. Feel free to contact if you have more questions regarding the above models.

I happen to know a 52 for sale that you won't find listed on the internet. It's located in southern NJ and can be purchased real cheap. Boat is basically just showing it's age, but is stock. no hard top, minimal equipment etc.
    let me know if interested and I can put you in touch with the owner.