Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 48' Yachtfish

Question 48' Yachtfish

Does anyone have any experience with replacing
    the DD 6-92 TA's with smaller engines, say 140 HP? i.e. converting to a LRC?
    I am OK with 8-9 Kts. cruise speed, looking for reduced fuel flow.
    Thoughts and idea's appreciated.
    Last edited by Duke54; 03-18-2009 at 11:44 AM.

Re: 48' Yachtfish

Duke, Why re-invent the wheel. Your boat as is a fine LRC if you choose to run it that way. Actually at an 8k cruise you will burn a little less than 6 gph. The exact amount can probably be verified by Bobk who uses his '81 48 MY as an LRC and runs back and forth from Baltimore to the Fla keys every year at 8k. Unless your engines are shot and need to be rebuilt/replaced, I'd leave it alone and enjoy it he way it is.

Walt
    1982 Series 1 48
    New Jersey

Just thinking of what to do when these engines wear out and diesel prices are at $5.00 per Gal.

If you run them at 1500 RPM's they will never wear out!
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

You will likely never get your money out of a repower in fuel savings. Keep what you have and run at hull speed.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I did a little research on changing out my 43 to 110hp J.D.'s the short of it is it's just not doable. Between the gears and the engines, wheels and install just to much money to put in a boat that for all intents and purpose (at this time) is worth very little compared to the repower. It can only be even slightly pratical if you totally lose an engine. The savings in fuel are almost non exsistent maybe a half a mile or so to a gallon. The most practicle thing is face hatteras every morning give the 6-71 prayer and run slow. Bill
    Bill Allen 1973 43 dc
    Brielle N.J.

I'll say the 6-92 prayer and just keep going at 1500 RPM until they blow up.

Ahh, Duke, I see you have a 48CMY, not a 48YF. I wondered why you had 92's in an early 1970's boat. At first I thought you must have a repower, but now that I looked at your profile, I understand.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

The later model 48 MY is a good boat. I like the layout. Just run the the little 692s slow and you're good to go.
    More LRC envy.
    Skooch
    Worton Creek MD

Sorry about the YF misspeak. I'll keep running the 6-92's @1500 until they die.