Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Spray Rails, Part II

I noticed that newer Hatts like the 53ED a few slips down from me have two sets of spray rails, one forward, one aft. Was this only on the EDs? or on all and simply added sometime after 1980? How effective are they at keeping spray from being thrown onto the bow and windshield? Saraswati has a pretty wet ride compared to my previous boats...
    Dave
    "Saraswati" - 1980 53MY
    Galesville, MD

Re: Spray Rails, Part II

I don't think the factory ever offered the front spray rails on the 53. The ones that I have seen were installed after the boats left the factory. I do know that Wilkins, an east coast Hatteras dealer in the 80's, installed them on some boats.

Interesting, both of the 53EDs at my marina have them and the look exactly the same...I assumed they were factory. Anyone added front spray rails? How much of a change in wetness could be expected from this?
    Dave
    "Saraswati" - 1980 53MY
    Galesville, MD

Front spray rails were a factory option in the late 1970's and early 1980's. I have an options sheet and it shows up there for 1985.

I think Sams even has a pair or two of the front factory rails in their inventory.

http://www.samsmarine.com/PartSearch...temNmbr=72507A

Hmmmm......maybe I should buy those and put them on. I'll bet it would be a tough job to get access to the bolt locations now. On second thought, maybe I don't really need them that bad.
    Last edited by SKYCHENEY; 03-17-2009 at 10:13 AM.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

5200?
    Dave
    "Saraswati" - 1980 53MY
    Galesville, MD

Quote Originally Posted by stormchaser View Post
    5200?

I know people that did do that with a few screws to hold in place and it Worked.

Also smart rails ALL GLUE no bolts or screws and a travel lift sling could not rip it of
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

The aft rails are called lift rails. The idea is that they increase the surface area in the stern to get it up on plane more quickly and keep it there. They also have a very substantial rub rail which keeps the aft side of the boat from touching locks and docks.

My 1978 53MY has factory spray rails and also lift rails, but I don't know if they're factory or not. The rub rails had square head screws like the front rails. I know the spray rails do deflect spray outwards nicely. I've never had one without lift rails, so I don't know how much they help.

Doug Shuman

Quote Originally Posted by Nonchalant1 View Post
    I've never had one without lift rails, so I don't know how much they help.

Doug Shuman
    Yeah, but they look cool.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI