Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
    spartonboat1 Guest

Synthetic Oil in Trannies

I have had very good success with synthetic lubricants, including synthetic ATF in automobiles. Mercedes and others have synthetic ATF as factory fill and I believe there is no time related change requirement (not true?- please comment).

Anyway, anyone out there running synthetic in their transmissions?

Thanks,
    Twin-Disc 506.

P.s., Twin Disc does say one way or the other, as the factory tech says never tried, since always had good success with standard mineral oils.

Bob Bradley Guest

Synthetics in tranni

IMHO, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Since the oil isn't impacted by combustion like the engine oil, it stays pretty clean. I change mine about every 2 seasons (150 hrs or so), and it comes out looking like the day I put it in. I couldn't imagine leaving the synthetic in long enough to justify the cost difference.
    Bob

captcoop Guest

Trans oil

I used synthetic Amsoil in my Allison transmissions for 4 years with no problem.

mikep996 Guest

Syn Trans oil

Synthetic for this application is a solution for which there is no problem. Save your money

34Hatt Guest

Syn in Trannys

I have been using synthetics mainly Amsoil in everything I own. Wanted to try it in the boat trannies but a transmission guy here on Long Island who has a great rep said don't do it. The reason is that these transmissions work on pressure and friction and the synthetic can reduce the friction to much causing problems. It made sense to me so never did it.
    Dan