Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Exhaust Baffles in 39C?

We had a growth problem in the exhuast tubes on our '96 39C. We cleaned them well from outside when we had it pulled. Now, it appears we have a back-pressure problem and I don't think we able to reach far enough in from stern to get them completely clear. The next step is to clean them from the engine side by disasembling the system and using some type of "chimney sweep" device.. Does anyone know if there are baffles in tubes to contend with or is it a straight run?
    Fifth Girl
    St. Simons Is Ga
    1996 39' Convertible #628
    J & T 6-71 465 hp
    3:1 ZF, 34x47 5 blade

Re: Exhaust Baffles in 39C?

There are no baffles in my mufflers. I can see from the stern all the way forward to the elbow in the engine room when I shine a light in my exhaust. I have no idea, however, how your setup is. You might call Hatteras to find out for sure.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Re: Exhaust Baffles in 39C?

Good idea to check with Hatteras. I think there may be baffles in marine exhaust. Once in a great while a baffle will internally collapse and cause a big problem according to the folks at Centek. ( I had that problem! )

I've found that growth usually doesn't go past areas without sunlight and therefore only several feet into the exhaust tube, I use a scraper and hose with the bow higher than stern.