Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    bonnevillebarbie Guest

Re: Brand of hatches/portlights?

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky1 View Post
    Your contribution really helped barbie. The point is that it was in extremely poor taste to bash Sam's who provides this forum.

Sometimes you need a woman to put you in your place. I know its hard to take.
    Enjoy the weather, enjoy your boat and enjoy your life.
    Last edited by bonnevillebarbie; 03-09-2009 at 05:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky1 View Post
    Your contribution really helped barbie. The point is that it was in extremely poor taste to bash Sam's who provides this forum.

How did I bash Sams? I love Sam's, have ordered from them, and will continue to do so when it is appropriate. Somebody asked why I didn't simply order from Sams and I stated that Sams was high on some items and it would be foolish to not shop around. In all reality, Sam's IS high priced on some items and I simply stated that. How is that bashing? I was factual, and did not interject any opinion. Sometimes the truth hurts, but does not make it any less truthful. Like I said, I love Sam's...they provide a great service and take great care of us and I do order from them and AM willing to pay a premium for it, but there are limits to what is a reasonable upcharge for that service. Especially in this economic climate, everyone must watch their budget. If a part is $12 one place and 5 another, you'd be an idiot to buy it at the $12 price...and I have seen that exact thing happen with Sams, a $5 part being sold for $12.
    Dave
    "Saraswati" - 1980 53MY
    Galesville, MD

SO.... Did anyone say who made his hatches?

The are most likely Bomar friend, and Sam's price on Screens was fine for me about a year ago.
    Shawn
    58 MY

Quote Originally Posted by sandspur1966 View Post
    SO.... Did anyone say who made his hatches?

The are most likely Bomar friend, and Sam's price on Screens was fine for me about a year ago.

Yes, the second response said Bomar. So, out of curiosity I just checked and Sam's price for the regular 7"X15" Fuller Brush porthole screens is $19 and if I remember correctly when I priced them back in '07 during the repaint they were $16 direct from Fuller Brush. That was not enough of a difference (even though I bought all 12 new) for me not to patronize Sam's Marine. Just my $.02.

And it's probably a fair price today. Some people just seem to think Walfart is the way to go. Cheap stuff on a boat is not great. Cheap stuff on a Hatteras is sacrilegious.

Just so everyone knows the law in Florida states you must report the purchase and pay applicable sale/use tax. If not you are taking advantage of those who abide by the law. FWIW the state is looking for the tax cheats to make up for the loss of taxes. More states will probably do the same.

http://dor.myflorida.com/dor/consumer/
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by ThirdHatt View Post
    Yes, the second response said Bomar. So, out of curiosity I just checked and Sam's price for the regular 7"X15" Fuller Brush porthole screens is $19 and if I remember correctly when I priced them back in '07 during the repaint they were $16 direct from Fuller Brush. That was not enough of a difference (even though I bought all 12 new) for me not to patronize Sam's Marine. Just my $.02.
    If they were $19, this never would have been a question, I would have ordered them instantly, no questions asked, no price questions, no worries. Sams has SCREENS listed for our hatches at $82.50! http://www.samsmarine.com/PartSearch...emNmbr=S59462A
    So, lets be clear, this is only the SCREEN for the hatch, a 13x24 peice os screen at home depot is $2.50, and it has about $5 worth of aluminum. That omes out to under $8 worth of COST. As I said, if it were $19, heck, even $30, I'd never even bother to do a comparison, but $82.50, one would have to be a total idiot when it comes to finance to simply order from the first place that has the item.
    Dave
    "Saraswati" - 1980 53MY
    Galesville, MD

bonnevillebarbie Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    And it's probably a fair price today. Some people just seem to think Walfart is the way to go. Cheap stuff on a boat is not great. Cheap stuff on a Hatteras is sacrilegious.

Just so everyone knows the law in Florida states you must report the purchase and pay applicable sale/use tax. If not you are taking advantage of those who abide by the law. FWIW the state is looking for the tax cheats to make up for the loss of taxes. More states will probably do the same.

Again with the political and assumptive innuendo...

We are looking for the 13x24 screens.
    Its a bit hard to handle $82 per screen, thus the question.
    If thats the best we can find great. Competition is the name of the game.. isnt that how you made all that wealth you dont want others to redistribute?

Dave,
    What is the purpose for this thread? I don't want to debate what to buy where. I am just asking because I know that those Bomar portlights are well built and I would find it hard to believe that anyone would ever have to replace one. I did remove the plexiglass in mine because it was discolored and I replaced them with tempered glass. They look great now.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

My escape hatch/portlights are fine, it's the screens that are destroyed. The hatch/portlights are in great condition. No problems there, there isn't even any pealing paint. But, literally all I have are empty frames for the screens. All I was looking for was the manufacturer of the hatches so I could see if there are any alternatives for screens. If it's $80+ to get new screens with frames, I will find a way to rebuild the existing screens, but the frames are in poor condition and that would mean literally gluing new screen in the frames. I COULD do that for about $5 worth of parts from home depot but I'd rather spend a bit more and have it RIGHT with new frames. I have no problem with paying more to do something right, but there ARE limits, at some point the ROI just isn't there.
    Last edited by stormchaser; 03-09-2009 at 07:43 PM. Reason: typos
    Dave
    "Saraswati" - 1980 53MY
    Galesville, MD

Have you tried taking the frames to a glass shop? They have be able to make up something for you that will work.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI