Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Shaft Alignment

Re: Shaft Alignment

To clarify - I feel the vibration with either engine out of gear and the other in gear. In other words, with either the port or starboard engine in forward and the other in neutral, I can feel a vibration.

All: thanks for all of the advice and comments, however, my initial question was and remains: does anyone have experience with how to align the shafts with this configuration?

To remind everyone - this is a 1978, 53' YF with 8-71-TI's. Engines/trannies have never been pulled/replaced - as far as I know.
    Tim

Ex 1978 53' YF owner

An answer was provided by Bruce Morrison of Jarrett Bay thanks Bruce) which I will include below. Pretty much what I figured but not good news at all.

Tim,
    I have installed many of this type of mounts and shims. I will appoligize in advance. You are correct that you will need to raise the engine several times to insert flat pieces of aluminum shim stock. This will be time consuming at first. Once you get the concept of which way each mount needs to go (up or dowm) in order to align the engine things will speed up. You mist first loosen the coupling bolts and insert a feeler gauge around the gap between the gear and shaft couplings and record the readings. For instance top being 12 o'clock, bottom 6 o'clock, left 9 o'clock and right 3 o'clock. If bottom is open more you will have to add additional shims under both mounts to raise the rear of the engine. If the gap is wider on one side, simply slide th engine in the opposite direction to close the gap. You will want to make several shims of various thickness before you start. I will assure you you that the rear of the engine/gear has settled over the years and will now need to be raised. You may find that if the engine needs to be raised, you can remove some of the thinner shims, replace with a thicker shim and recycle those thinner shims elsewhere. Keep in mind that the rule of thumb for alignment is .001 of tolerence for each inch of coupling face. You most likely have a 8" coupling face and you could stop at .008 on the feeler gauge. I always liked to get it to half the allowance (.004) and know you had gotten it as close as possible. I will not be back in the office this week but will be checking email each day....................Bruce A. Morrison
    Tim

Ex 1978 53' YF owner

3. Re: Shaft Alignment

If you can see and feel vibration with either engine in gear, you have confirmed a problem.
    Ok sounds like you have confirmed misalignment as the problem since your props are good. sounds like your shafts are also not the problem.....when you use feeler gauges and turn the shaft 1/2 turn for another measurement, that will be your confirmation. Jarret omitted that step and it's crucial to confirm your shaft is true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Subsequent adjustments do not require 1/2 rotation confirmation...

My post #3 and your post # 12 explain the process....you need a fine touch with the feeler gauges and an understanding of how flange misalignment translates into necessary movement of the engine...you also need some form of power lifting to lift the HEAVY engine and transmission...crowbar, chain hoist or maybe hydraulic lift if you can borrow one...USE CAUTION WHEN LIFTING SINCE IT IS EASY TO UNINTENTIONALLY MOVE THE ENGINE SIDE TO SIDE....

I forget if I posted ALREADY: but,YES, usually the aft mounts sink LOW...I agree with the post #12 as rear mounts carry most of the weight... that means: the shaft flange is higher than the transmission flange and also the bottom of the flange is more widely separated than the top as measured by feeler gauge...hence lifting the back of the engine corrects both misalignments.

Some tricks: have a pencil and pad a record every measure in sequence....after a 1/2 rotation of the shaft and eight measures you don't want to guess wrong before lifting the engine,placing shims, and lowering again...use a sketch if necessary to show results.....After three or four possible sequences, a record can help you tell if you are getting closer!!!!!

When rotating the shaft do not lean DOWN on it...try to rotate without pressing up of down or side to side....never step on a disconnected shaft!!!!

Weight is likely 3500 lbs...figure 2500 aft to be safe...use appropriate lifting gear...

Sounds like your engines might be 1/2" low at the rear...
    When I have done engines in the past I have used thin pieces of stainless or aluminum sheet....maybe 1/32" or 1/16"...whatever it was, I cut it with tin snips ahead of time....Home Cheapo has aluminum sheets maybe 2x 3 ft which is PLENTY...cut to the size you need to place under your mounts....likely you could also have one or two thick pieces made for each side ...say a pair of 1/4" thick blocks for each aft engine mount...4 in total..

Figure two days work...deciding how to lift, getting it aboard, setting that up, loosening engine mounts, disassembly of transmissiion flanges, measuring, placing shims, retightening mounts....rear seal??

Comments
    Your mounts shown some corrosion...has the water been eliminated? I place a plastic container under my raw water pumps and glued in a clear vinyl hose to a can in the bilge...any water in the can and I know I have a raw water pump seal leak...but not dribbles on my transmission and mounts.

A product like RUST ARRESTOR (Home Cheapo) will chemically change the rust to an oxygen proof seal stopping further corrosion.....can then be painted....

Also, someone posted about rear transmission seal being wobbly?? never heard of that without a spray of transmission oil at the aft of the transmission...look around for it...it appears as a line either side of the transmission just ahead of the flange we have been discussing...
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

4. Re: Shaft Alignment

Spot on with regards to how to do it - it is absolutely KEY that you check the misalignment with a half-rotation BEFORE shimming, or you may think you "fixed it" only to find out that the problem isn't what you think it is!

If the shaft is true and the coupler properly installed (not cocked) a 1/2 rotation will NOT change where the gap is larger.

Its not a "difficult" job but it IS a pain in the butt and requires care due to the mass of what you're lifting while this is in process.
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

Thanks again to everyone for their observations, comments and suggestions.
    Tim

Ex 1978 53' YF owner

This is the setup I used for the 12s. Just dont use the bottom of the boat to jack against! The next ones show the shim arraingement on the front mounts. I added about 1/8" on the front and about 5/16" on the rears, PLUS pushed the tail end over almost 3/8". This caused an imminent rear bearing / seal failure BTW... ws
    Last edited by yachtsmanbill; 03-17-2009 at 07:53 PM.
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults