Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 50,52 or 55

Hybrid View

50,52 or 55

I will be using the boat for offshore fishing most of the time.. what do you guys think?

Re: 50,52 or 55

buy the most boat you can afford and handle. big boat lust aside, check out the insurance rates, marina and travelift rates as well. there might be a big jump in costs between one size and the next costing you many extra thousands each year for the gain of a few feet.
    '68 41'TCMY

The 50 has a very small cockpit - 92 sq ft I think.

The 55 is a much larger boat than either the 50 or 52 - check the weight and beam. This means serious fuel burn and only moderate speed. My friend's 55 had her 1271's jacked to the max and could hit 27knots but the burned was huge. Also, if you want to repower, it willl be very expensive - you will be looking at C32 and the like.

I think the 52 is a good compromise - plus you can repower with QSM11 - 715's and get good performance and economy.

I'd buy based on engine room....must have full height walk in engine room for me.

I agree with the comment above. I looked at a 50 that was a great deal a few years ago and found the cockpit way too small, you hit the fighting chair when you opened the engine room door.

I like the 52 also.

I just bought a 1987 55' a month ago. Just love it. great fishing boat as well as family boat.

Check out the pictures in the gallery under Habanero.

Mike