Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Re: How low can they go? 58YF for $75K NR

If I remember right thats pretty close hull number wise to Bills and Sparky's numbers. maybe the two of them should go in partners and buy this boat, spare parts?

Quote Originally Posted by Silverado6x6 View Post
    If I remember right thats pretty close hull number wise to Bills and Sparky's numbers. maybe the two of them should go in partners and buy this boat, spare parts?
    Silverado, Bill and Randy's boats are 1974 models, this 58YF is a 1971. Also, the one on Ebay is a 58 Yachtfisherman, basically a 53MY with a cockpit. Their 1974's are 58 Triple Cabin models, which are "true" 58' boats (bigger) with the same hull but a very different layout/configuration.

Bill and Randy's hull numbers were like 1 apart I think, but in the 58TC line of hull numbers, not the 58YF hull numbers, which were well into production by the time the 58TC's came out.

Quote Originally Posted by holtcl View Post
    There are now bids but says on ebay reserve not met. So it was posted first with no reserve (presumably- I get this based on the forum info), and now there is a reserve? I may have missed something along the way not having followed this closely.
    It was originally listed as an auction with a starting bid of $75K which is another way of saying there was a reserve of $75K. Running it like this with no starting bid requirement will let them test the waters on eBay to see what kind of offers they can expect against that $75K original starting point. I would only assume they have set the reserve at $75K. Given how we've seen you don't have to make good on a purchase offer, maybe I'll set up a straw buyer and find out. Just kidding of course.

Sorry guys, but we're all proof that boat junkies are alive and well. IMO you'd have to be really hurting financially to dump a boat right now as this market will rebound. It's just a matter of trying to project how long and how strong a new market will come back.

Thank you for clarifying that, I do know I love the style of the TC, even if "harumph" it might be converted to an extended DC.

Quote Originally Posted by ThirdHatt View Post
    Silverado, Bill and Randy's boats are 1974 models, this 58YF is a 1971. Also, the one on Ebay is a 58 Yachtfisherman, basically a 53MY with a cockpit. Their 1974's are 58 Triple Cabin models, which are "true" 58' boats (bigger) with the same hull but a very different layout/configuration.

Bill and Randy's hull numbers were like 1 apart I think, but in the 58TC line of hull numbers, not the 58YF hull numbers, which were well into production by the time the 58TC's came out.
    Our boats have consecutively numbered hulls. Outside that, I'm not sure where you come up with the 58YF being well into production before the 58TC came along. According to the brochures archive on this site, the 58YF went into production on 05/70 followed by the 58TC on 11/70. I can't imagine they turned out very many YF's in that six month period... not that it matters of course.

At least yours and Bills don't look like this one!

I almost never see any 1971 58TC's, do you? It's always 1973 or 1974 TC's which was probably the peak in 58TC production before phasing them out. There is always a 1971 58YF on the market so I knew the 58YF's were well into production when they began building the 58TC's. The 58TC's never quite took off and did not sell as well as the 58YF, hence the shorter production run.

My post to Silverado was just to differentiate the hull numbers of the TC's and YF's, as they were completely different boats that's all.

Another interesting note Silverado may or may not be aware of is that the 58TC's came with V-12's and the 58YF's (and all 53' variants) came with V8's and some of the later models even had V6 92 series.

Quote Originally Posted by ThirdHatt View Post

Another interesting note Silverado may or may not be aware of is that the 58TC's came with V-12's and the 58YF's (and all 53' variants) came with V8's and some of the later models even had V6 92 series.
    Just curious...how fast are the TCs and how much do they burn? I would think with more power, they would be faster but also burn a lot more?
    Dave
    "Saraswati" - 1980 53MY
    Galesville, MD

I would have expected the YF to have the need to go faster thus a bigger engine but realistically I believe it really had to do with the weight of the TC, I almost bought a 41C that was down in the Keys until the seller told me he had yanked the DDs and put in a pair of small Perkins. that boat ironically is back on Craigslist at a reduced priced yet again, last I heard he is asking $10,000! Maybe in hindsight its not so bad, won't go fast but won't cost a lot of fuel either.
    http://keys.craigslist.org/boa/1053683401.html

On this 41C down in the Keys, yes I almost bought this boat, bad timing on my part because I was committed to work, I had the money and he was willing to finance, some people may remember this escapade of mine, in the end though because I could not fly down there I gave up on it, now it too apparently is suffering on the market, perhaps i should try to jump this? My bank will give me this as a high interest personal loan.