Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Fuel on the fire

To all those that dislike (de-emphasis intended) west marine, here is yet another reason. Starting in march they will no longer price match any Internet sales, also they will not price match any bricks and mortar store unless it is within 25 miles of the store you will be purchasing the product. In other words, no more price match. I guess it was evident for a long time but now that they've captured enough of the market now they will begin to turn the screws. They certainly cater to the joy stick crowd but its an unfortunate development. Up with independent retailers, down with wm. I bet the next step for wm is to offer marine services just like home crappo offers home remodel services. The future is bleak. Lol.

Re: Fuel on the fire

Thanks for the heads up. I only use in an emergency and regret it then. I've become a loyalist of Defender Marine who has great prices and excellent customer service and I frequent local supply stores who discount.
    Art

Quote Originally Posted by bostonhatteras View Post
    To all those that dislike (de-emphasis intended) west marine, here is yet another reason. Starting in march they will no longer price match any Internet sales, also they will not price match any bricks and mortar store unless it is within 25 miles of the store you will be purchasing the product. In other words, no more price match. I guess it was evident for a long time but now that they've captured enough of the market now they will begin to turn the screws. They certainly cater to the joy stick crowd but its an unfortunate development. Up with independent retailers, down with wm. I bet the next step for wm is to offer marine services just like home crappo offers home remodel services. The future is bleak. Lol.
    Boston,

I buy local first, and have the good fortune to have many independent sources in this massive fishing community. That said....................

I was told that they will match to brick and mortar within a 50 mile radius. We (Boston and I) are fortunate enough to have Defender within that range.

Should I buy at WM, I INSIST on price matching on almost everything, and I have gone on record that I will stop buying from them altogether and look harder locally or wait the day or so to have it shipped from another source.

To me the value of WM is it's convenience for which I'm willing to pay a small premium but not the types of markups they are now applying. Example (1 quart of Bristol Finish at WM 72.99, Competitor 59.95).

WM seems only casually concerned about the policy change. I think again as Boston pointed out they really don't cater to our sector, there's a product overlap for sure, but we're not their target customer.

They're also counting on the fact that people want immediate gratification, and lets face it they have probably the biggest overall bricks and mortar presence. (combine that with a strong internet presence and you have a fledgling monopoly)

You may also have noticed they are consolidating their stores, I believe to reduce overhead but also to strategically locate a store in the center of a cluster because they have the confidence they have captured enough of the market and it will travel a bit. In our area 4 stores were consolidated into 1 central location.
    Gene
    Former Owner 1974 Hatteras Yachtfish
    Glittering Image

Hull # 50
    Total Production 1972-1975 Sixty Four

I'll be happy to mail order from now on. WM usually has to order it in anyway. I just bought a Intellian i2 last week and the sales guy mentioned this. I told him we had a good run and best of luck...
    Formally Top Hatt and Tails
    1980 53MY

5. Re: Fuel on the fire

Sadly there is no real place on the "island" to buy much marine supplies.... So Defender and Amazon have become my best friends... Sadly, there are times I actually would like having a WM here...
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com

Also for emergency only. Recently needed Boat life sealant for my teak cockpit job. They had 1 quart in stock and could bring another in the next day. I pick up the quart for $82. I need to see how far it goes so I can get enough but not too much. Type P pourable but I have never used it. Stuff was hard to mix and 2nd half kicked before I could use it. Called Boat Life to find out what I am doing wrong. Turns out that the shelf life is 12 months and mine was 18 months old. Then I find out I can buy direct and guess what? MSRP is $65. No wonder what I got was old.

As for boat life they are a great company. They replaced the bad stuff wm sold me and got me everything to me in time to seal the deck before the next rain.

I prefer a good brick and mortar but these days I am forced to internet shop.

Why would they charge more than retail????

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxfishgyd View Post
    Sadly there is no real place on the "island" to buy much marine supplies.... So Defender and Amazon have become my best friends... Sadly, there are times I actually would like having a WM here...
    Sad Charlie, especially after WM and Boaters World closed in Fernandina. Nothing close to us now. Jax or bust.
    Art

The WM store near me never has anything that I need. They always offer to order it in, but if I have to wait for it, I might as well order it somewhere cheaper.

This store seems to cater to the runabout crowd with parts for outboards and I/O's, waterskis, etc.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

We are fortunate here to have an independent marine retailer in Annapolis, Fawcett's. Frankly I would rather pay more to buy from a local dealer than put another nickel in Randy Repass' pockets. But Wm is so greedy that I get a better deal at Fawcett's, so I win both ways. And, as said above, they always offer to order things in; which means there isn't much on the shelves.

Yes on defender marine! I am strongly contemplating purchasing two simrad chartplotters at their annual spring event. ( My son and I have made that sale a boating tradition for about 12 years now). I was at wm simply to fool with the machines on display. It was very typical that the store clerk repeatedly directed me to call simrad with my questions. I did get a cut out template from him though so I got some thing for free. Lol. I will buy small stuff there or emergencies but I drove to defender in the middle of the summer twice for larger purchases. I assemble a list over a period of time for when I go to that defender show. Hamilton marine in Maine is excellent too. Plus in Boston there is c g Edwards for really unique stuff. They outfit the large ships and tugs. If you need a 100 million candle power arc spotlight, that's where to get it.
    Last edited by bostonhatteras; 02-28-2013 at 12:32 AM. Reason: Spelling.