Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

help me plan my wife's 50th birthday

Need some help planning my wife's 50th birthday. we travel mostly to tropical places and she has always wanted to go to New York. So i thought i would fly her up in April and spend a few days there. I have been several times for work but not really had a chance to visit or site see very much.

She would like to see a show,stay somewhere in the middle of it all and shop.

Ideas are appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: help me plan my wife's 50th birthday

Quote Originally Posted by mrdeepseafisher View Post
    Need some help planning my wife's 50th birthday. we travel mostly to tropical places and she has always wanted to go to New York. So i thought i would fly her up in April and spend a few days there. I have been several times for work but not really had a chance to visit or site see very much.

She would like to see a show,stay somewhere in the middle of it all and shop.

Ideas are appreciated.

Thanks.

Plaza hotel.

Show or two on broadway.

brunch at the brasserie.

Dinner at carmine bar in the theater district.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Budget will be a big consideration. The Baccarat opens this week and is reported to be one of the hottest new hotels in Midtown. I believe rooms are about 1K per night. A bit cheaper than the Plaza but not a budget Hotel by any means. The W or Millenium are good options and rooms will start in the $300 per night range. I'd expect to pay around $400-$500 depending on your dates and the type of room you want. Try and pick a show ahead of time and book the tickets ASAP. Spring in NYC is great and you'll have plenty of options in the theater district. Central Park is close by and a great place to spend an afternoon. Museums are always a great choice and there is a great variety depending on your likes. Shopping in NY is anything you could want. 5th Avenue for the ultra high end shopping is right near all these hotels. Great for a nights stroll to do some window shopping. Downtown will be more varied and depending on what she wants, there's a neighborhood for that. Restaurants are plentiful and you can have an incredible meal for $20 or $500 per person. Define your wants and expectations and go from there.
    Last edited by saltshaker; 03-11-2015 at 12:32 PM.
    Jack Sardina

It could also be fun to get down to Mulberry Street and walk Little Italy as well as China Town. The Village can be interesting as well. We used to park Freedom at Liberty Landing in Jersey and take the water taxi over. Then we walked everywhere. All sorts of museums. For example, The Frick Collection, Metropolitan Museum of Art, Natural History on and on and on!
    Regards
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mapes View Post
    It could also be fun to get down to Mulberry Street and walk Little Italy as well as China Town. The Village can be interesting as well. We used to park Freedom at Liberty Landing in Jersey and take the water taxi over. Then we walked everywhere. All sorts of museums. For example, The Frick Collection, Metropolitan Museum of Art, Natural History on and on and on!
    Last summer I went to little Italy. Surprise ferarras is owned by the Chinese. Many other great little Italian places are gone. China Town is also not as nice as before. Dirtier and not as appetizing for eating real Chinese food like years ago.

Going to ground zero was a must. Even if it's just to public area without the tour. The Empire state Building OR Lady Liberty are great destinations.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I would bet the googarou here is Jack as he lives there. My wife and i visited just before Christmas for 3 days
    Mary X mama. I got along real good with this site.
    http://www.nyctrip.com/Pages/Index.a...FeXm7AodZjsA3g
    Last edited by Tim Powell; 03-11-2015 at 05:12 PM.

Used to live there, but it's all changed and does constantly. Marriott Residence Inn Times Square is in the middle of it all ... still expensive by my books, as they all are, but easy for us normal folks. Marriott also has others in the area, you know what you're getting and it's not a good place to go too far off the grid so to speak (others mentioned are top notch for sure.) I can give more suggestions depending ....

If you use Uber, it's def the way to get around there now. Cabs are not what they once were.

Tavern on the Green is still something to see in Central Park. It's been around a long time, but still a name and nice thing to do. Do the Plaza for a drink, or maybe dinner, it's something to remember.

Hear the Harbor House on Pier A at the Battery is a hot new thing. Haven't done it yet, but on my list. http://www.piera.com/

River Cafe under the Brooklyn Bridge is pretty incredible in my book, would be spectacular for the big event. http://therivercafe.com Think they had a fire or something past while, so check on current reviews.

Theater ... buy early and hard. Good stuff is always sold out. Sometimes the little shows are much better.

As for shopping ... turn left or right and walk. She will know the names.

http://ny.curbed.com/tags/top is a good site to follow the current vibe. It's mostly a real estate site, but is current with lots of gossip and flavor. (also good for Miami, etc.)

And remember - you can't do it all, and don't try to, or it will wear you out. And that's not fun for anyone.
    Last edited by tellico; 03-11-2015 at 07:04 PM.

Interestingly, I used to live in New York and belong to a nice club in Midtown.

You do not have to spend anywhere near $1000 a night to have a fine place.
    I would recommend that you stay near Times Square as it is in the heart of the theatre district. There are two very good hotels to stay at there. One is the Crowne Plaza (right on Broadway) the other a block over is the Intercontinental Times square.

You can go to the 1/2 price ticket booth on Broadway (called Duffy Square) and get last minute tickets. You can also walk up a few blocks and go to Radio City. This is the nice tourist fun thing. If the weather is nice I would recommend going down to lower Manhattan and going to South Street Seaport. You can also take a trip to the Stature of Liberty and the Grey Line Cruise around Manhattan.

Rather than anyone here recommending restaurants, I would rely on your hotel concierge to guide you based on your tastes and budgets.

You can go to New York and have a lot of fun, people watching, walking around Central Park, and taking in a few shows. Again, rely on your hotel concierge to guide you on this.

I am there this weekend and again in late April for the 150th anniversary gala for my club. Should be a lot of fun in "white tie" no less.

Cheers
    Spin

If he Concord is still there DO NOT MISS THE OPPORTUNITY TO TAKE THE TOUR!!!!! Last chance to board one.

Did anyone mention Madame Tussaud's Wax Museum on 42nd street? The place is a hoot. I'll bet she loves walking around there.

https://www.madametussauds.com/NewYork/
    Regards
    Dan