Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Windshield Washer Pump??

You may want to check the fittings under the eyebrow. I have found some that were all scaled up and would not let any water pass through.

2. Re: Windshield Washer Pump??

I suspect you are absolutely correct. I will try to pull a line, prior to the valve, and see if I can generate a flow. If the tubes are clogged, how would you suggest "blowing" them out? I have a bunch of 180cfm diesel air compressors but....might blow up the whole boat!

Thanx
    Craig in BC

I think our boat has it, but I don't even know where the switch is to start the pump!

Good luck finding it. Anything with our 45 is like a screw in the bilge.

Quote Originally Posted by aquacraig@shaw.ca View Post
    I suspect you are absolutely correct. I will try to pull a line, prior to the valve, and see if I can generate a flow. If the tubes are clogged, how would you suggest "blowing" them out? I have a bunch of 180cfm diesel air compressors but....might blow up the whole boat!

Thanx
    Craig in BC

Hatteras used a couple different designs on the washers, some just had a piece of copper tubing aimed at the windows and others had fittings on the top of windshield area that small tubes connected to then were attached to the wiper blades. The fittings that the small tubes attached to have a small hole and can get plugged up. I have just used a wire to clean them out.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanN View Post
    I think our boat has it, but I don't even know where the switch is to start the pump!

Good luck finding it. Anything with our 45 is like a screw in the bilge.
    The pump should be your fresh water pump.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Our '86 36C has an inside helm and therefore has wipers and washers. There is no "pump". We have a 12v. solenoid, (they also make 32v. models). The solenoid has a copper line that goes to the engine compartment and is teed into the ships water system. From the solenoid there is a tube that splits into 3 and goes to fittings that are mounted throught the eyebrow above the windshields. I just bought a new replacement solenoid from Sam's in Ft. Lauderdale. The unit is exactly like the one I had except it is new and doesn't humm and drip. Our boat had those stupid little plastic tubes from the eyebrow fittings to the wiper arms. I replaced them with copper tubes that I flattened the end of to get a spray. I bought the stuff at Home Cheepo. The tubes are supposed to be liners for plastic tubing. They are pre-flared and about 1 1/2" long. They fit inside the ferules that held those plastic tubes. After installing them I bent them slightly to aim at the windshield and then flattened the end somewhat. The squirters now work great.
    Maynard
    UNITY '86 36C

7. Re: Windshield Washer Pump??

Maynard, what you are describing makes sense to me. I suspect that Shellani has a 32v solenoid (as Skysuggested) and that it is hooped. My freshwater pump is "skkookum" (that's a BC word) so if the valve worked ata all, I'd at least get a dribble...but nil. Looking forward to disecting this wknd and will advise all of my findings.

Thank You
    Craig in BC

8. Re: Windshield Washer Pump??

FIXED! There is a 32 volt solenoid and, believe it or not, a red & white gate valve in th starboard ER just in front of the hot water tank. Surprise, open the valve and the washers work perfectly! Thanx for all your help as it finally got me pointed in the right direction!

Craig in BC

I have a leak on my starboard windshield, from what would be the "spray." It is a copper (?) painted tube that lays above one of two knobs outside. I presume that is where the wipers would connect, if they were connected. Question...after looking beneath the upper helm, I see what looks to be valves to three lines. Would those be for the washer fluid/water? Any help appreciated. Would love the water to stop its regular drip on that one windshield! Thanks in advance!

Michelle J
    To the Moon

​1973 53' Hatteras

If there are three separate valves, sounds like one is leaking. The system is probably pressurized when the fresh water system is switched on or pressurized from dockside water.