Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Windshield Washer Pump??

My Hat is a 1972 53 and I have not figured out where the washer pump/water comes from. I presume it is fromt he potable tank but is there a separate pump or should it be part of the pressure system? At any rate, they don't work and I would appreciate your help in resolving.
    Thanx as always
    Craig in BC

Re: Windshield Washer Pump??

All I have seen are just part of the fresh water system.

Last edited by SKYCHENEY; 02-03-2009 at 10:40 PM.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

3. Re: Windshield Washer Pump??

Thanx Sky,
    I'm sure you're right but I'm trying to determine if a solenoid or something is supposed to activate with the "button" or if there might be a separate shut-off valve somewhere. I really have been a bit lazy in troubleshooting this seemongly simple issue but any additional thoughts would be appreciated.

Craig

Yes, it's an electric solenoid valve.
    Sky Cheney

5. Re: Windshield Washer Pump??

Thanx Sky, I get the idea now. Hydro for hydraulics...why not? I'll find it and put the VM on it and then probably be calling Sam's cause it's not working.

Craig

If you are looking for the water line, it is connected in the starboard engine room just above the water heater...assuming your water heater is locted in the aft part of the engine room.

My 1978 53MY has no solenoid. That button on the overhead console above my helm is just the long end of a valve which opens the water line to the pressurized fresh water system. The valve is a very simple single brass slider with two o-rings. I replaced the o-rings when one failed and it worked like new.

Doug Shuman

8. Re: Windshield Washer Pump??

I'll get into the ER this weekend and look for the connection. There probably is a shutoff valve to isolate the little 1/4" supply lines, and maybe that's my problem. Has anybody seen something like this?

Craig

There is no shut off valve on mine. In fact, there are no valves anywhere on the boat to isolate any part of the fresh water system. I would suggest dropping the panel on the bottom of the overhead console. That will give you access to the valve. Once you can get to it, you will know if it is electric or manual and what you need to repair/replace it.
    Sky Cheney

10. Re: Windshield Washer Pump??

All of this help is terrific! I will try to find the source in the ER but take your advice, Sky, and start pulling a few things apart to see if I can strike water.

Craig in BC