Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1962 41 in Deale MD-know this boat?

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1962.../United-States

Anyone know this boat? I have to hand it to the broker, great write up. From the Internet, it looks good, only thing that looks unoriginal is the sink. How many original owned Hatterases have been in the same family for 47 years?

From the ad:

REMARKS
    The photos won't show this piece of history in her true glory. She was purchased new and has remained in the same family all these years. This is not a boat for today's "yachtie". She offers beauty, grace, and style of another era along with the performance and toughness associated with the name Hatteras.
    Call today for your showing appointment. This boat is priced well below her value and it won't take long for her to be discovered.

Re: 1962 41 in Deale MD-know this boat?

I don't know that boat, but she sure looks sweet in the pix. The Seamasters are sortof dinosaurs now 'days, but they are tough, as described. I'm not sure how parts availability is. I had a friend years ago with the same engines in a 1972 Hatt 36C series I. He ran them hard enough to get a 16 knot cruise on the 36 and they burned 35 to 40 GPH. As I recall, the engines in his boat had sodium filled valves, were painted metallic burgundy and had chrome valve covers. They were first class looking engines.

I'm flying back to Md. this Thursday for a few days. If you want, I can try to carve out some time to go see her and report back. I'll take Dr. Rosenthal with me. Between the 2 of us, you will get an honest impression of her condition. Let me know.

WOW - that is a sweet looking boat!!! Is it possible to add fuel capacity?

If it remains a gas boat going forward, and still has the fiberglass tanks, they need to be replaced anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaEric View Post
    I don't know that boat, but she sure looks sweet in the pix. The Seamasters are sortof dinosaurs now 'days, but they are tough, as described. I'm not sure how parts availability is. I had a friend years ago with the same engines in a 1972 Hatt 36C series I. He ran them hard enough to get a 16 knot cruise on the 36 and they burned 35 to 40 GPH. As I recall, the engines in his boat had sodium filled valves, were painted metallic burgundy and had chrome valve covers. They were first class looking engines.

I'm flying back to Md. this Thursday for a few days. If you want, I can try to carve out some time to go see her and report back. I'll take Dr. Rosenthal with me. Between the 2 of us, you will get an honest impression of her condition. Let me know.
    That would be great as it would be nice to know if this boat really is as good as she looks. Of course the gas engines are a huge negative, but you've gotta love the classics!

We took a look today. I met Jim Rosenthal and we looked her over.

This is about the nicest 47 year old boat that you will likely see. She is mostly unmolested. She has had a paint job at some point, which still looks decent. The foredeck non-skid needs a re-paint. The aft decking is wood with "Nautolex" decking over. There are some soft spots, so that will need attention. The lower plastic windsheilds are cloudy, the FB plastic windsheild is also. The guages at both stations are non original as you can see in the YW photos. The deckhouse has vinyl wallpaper on the sidewalls in a tan color, side wall wood trim and aft bulkhead inside are painted the same tan. The forward of the salon is varnished. She has a built-in microwave. The head sink looks non-original. The AC panel is a replacement model Paneltronics.

Everything else on this boat seems original, and in decent looking condition. The engineroon is clean, and full of antique machinery. Engines and gen look good with recent looking hoses and hoseclamps. Air units, HW heater, all that stuff looks original. Window frames look decent, hardware all looks good.

For the middle of winter, she looks shiny and nice for a 47 year old boat. If you're looking for a vintage Hatt, this may be the one to buy. Jim will chime in I'm sure, but these are my observations.

Just back from looking at the 41 Hatteras in Deale. My impressions, which are not those of an expert, mind you:

-probably the best looking unrestored 47 year old boat I've seen. Much of the chrome bits are very shiny, the paint is acceptable (although not, I believe, the original paint), the rails are shiny, etc. There is at least one delaminated or soft area on the aft deck but the covering looks good. The boat is clean, tidy, and not cluttered as so many older boats are. It would not be too difficult to make this boat look really stellar, especially if the paint or repaint is Imron and could be buffed out.

-interior: very few things have been changed- or updated much either. There is a new electrical panel which looks enough like the old one that I missed the fact that it is new; Eric Horst spotted it. A microwave has been installed in the galley. The salon woodwork has been wallpapered and painted, and looks fairly good. The balance of the interior woodwork looks fine. The front windows are plastic, I think, and you can't see through them. Very good for privacy, not so good for steering from the downstairs station. The downstairs gauges are not original. They all match, but they have been replaced. Original-style gauges are, I think available as reproductions.

-mechanicals: the Seamaster 534 engines are clean. There is a genset midline aft in the engine room that must be original; it looks like something from the 19th century. All of the mechanical spaces look clean and orderly. My impression is that Seamaster engines were sturdy, very heavy, didn't have much power but had a lot of torque, and were very thirsty. I have not run a boat with them myself.

Overall, this is a boat that seems to have been well cared for. It is unusually original, which I suppose has to do with the fact that it has evidently not passed through the hands of a lot of different owners. So it looks a lot like it would have when it was built, is my guess. If that is what you want, this boat is probably the best one to acquire. It would be hard to imagine a 1962 41' Hatteras that would look better, other than either Knit Wits herself or another 41 that had miraculously escaped the ravages of time. Or been restored by an idiot such as myself.

I think it is priced quite a bit too high, in view of the facts that it has gas engines (the whole fuel tank issue), all of the ships' systems are old and subject to the inevitable malfunctions, and it has engines of a kind that as far as I know are no longer made and have a reputation for using a lot of fuel. I would certainly survey the boat very carefully and have an engine survey done as well. If everything was healthy, given its' age and condition it would probably be a decent deal in the low twenties.

Thank you Doc for your well written write up. I love the fact that the furniture is orginal. One day these will be very collectable items, if not already. I'll have to post what the broker said as well. Sounds like a Victor Kiam story...

Paint, replace windows, systems, and repower with diesel will not be inexpensive. Don't you agree these boats need Diesel power?

What is this about the fiberglass tanks?

Quote Originally Posted by ADOPO View Post

Fiberglass tanks + ethanol in the gas = trouble$.

Quote Originally Posted by ADOPO View Post
    Thank you Doc for your well written write up. I love the fact that the furniture is orginal. One day these will be very collectable items, if not already. I'll have to post what the broker said as well. Sounds like a Victor Kiam story...

Paint, replace windows, systems, and repower with diesel will not be inexpensive. Don't you agree these boats need Diesel power?

Not to be promoting anybody, it seems that you would save yourself a lot of time , money and misery by hiring a broker that knows boats and the current market.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"