Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Anchor wash-down on a 43 DCMY?

What should I know before I install the anchor wash-down on my boat? I would like to run the water supply off the forward head raw water fitting thru-hull with the spigot located somewhere on the foredeck close to the anchor, but in a place where I won't trip over it. I believe there is a lot of reinforcing metal in the forward deck. Advice and suggestions from anyone who has done this would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Bill Root, USCG 100 Ton Master, Near Coastal
    MV BUFFALO GAL
    1988 54' MY

2. Re: Anchor wash-down on a 43 DCMY?

AND POST PICTURES....

I have the same job on my "to do" list.
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com

3. Re: Anchor wash-down on a 43 DCMY?

I mounted a salt water spigot fitting along the edge of my forward deck ...far enough inside the toe rail to enable me to pass a mop...and I plumbed exactly as you describe. No metal plate off center. I also put in a TEE under my forward cabin floor to enable me to easily drain the hose connection going to the salt water washdown deck spigot for easy winterizing. My toilet remains operatinal all winter as I leave on heat.

On my 1972 48 YF there IS an aluminum reinforcement plate, about 1/4"thick at the center of the deck encased in the deck laminate. I found out about that when I drilled to mount a new anchor pulpit and broke my drill. In that pulpit which I made myself, I ran copper tubing inside with a spray head at the forward end to rinse chain automatically via flybridge mounted pump switch. Just before the anchor winch mounting at the aft end, I used an elbow to extend the copper water line down into the rope hatch area (under the deck) from the underside of the pulpit...That goes to a separate pump off the same toilet intake line...99% of the time that's all that is necessary to clean the all chain rode.
    The pulpit washdown arrangement is best, but more difficult to install, and if you have a crew emember to schlep up front, good enough. (My Yorkshire terrier is not interested in such deck duty!! especially in rain,sleet,snow.) Also in breezy days the forward looking nozzle sprays back onto the forward deck, so sometimes I have to turn the boat parallel to the oncoming wind...

Most fun: other boaters watching me wash off my chain withnobody up front... mouths agape!!! Have had several inquiries "How did you do that?"
    Last edited by REBrueckner; 01-29-2009 at 10:16 AM.
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

Re: Anchor wash-down on a 43 DCMY?

Lots of MYs have a raw water washdown from the side of the bow pulpit as it extends back over the bow deck by a few inches. You run the water line from the forward head intake to a separate washdown pump and up through the deck under the pulpit. It's easy to get to through the anchor rode locker. Mine has a raw water washdown on the sb side of the pulpit and a fresh water washdown on the port side.

Doug

I have a capped/unused raw water intake forward in bow, underneath the focs'le (veeberth to Searay owners). It appears to be a good grade Groco type ball valve unit. I was planning to attach the water source for a washdown to that throughhull.

This is on a 43'DC. Does that sound like a non-standard installation location? I am beginning to wonder, now that I have spotted the "Rule" water vent above the water line.

Any comments, insights?
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...

Spartonboat:

The only thru hull I have under the foc'sle is for the holding tank overboard discharge.
    Bill Root, USCG 100 Ton Master, Near Coastal
    MV BUFFALO GAL
    1988 54' MY

I'm sitting here trying to remeber where I hooked up mine. I think since I went to fresh water heads I used the seacock for the foward head. Mounted the pump on the "shelf" over the holding tank, foward directly under the hatch. Since I also have a sealand pump under there it's a little crowded. Ran the discharge line under the berths into the anchor locker and on the deck by the pulpit. There really isn't any great place to put it where it's always out of the way. Remember to seal the raw edges you drill through the balsa.
    Bill Allen 1973 43 dc
    Brielle N.J.