Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

41C Series I as a cruising boat?

I have read the forum almost daily for some time now and continue to learn. We have been boaters for 25 years but on inland lakes. Currently have a 33' express.

We are looking for our next boat (a few years away) and want to be able to do some coastal cruising, the Great Loop, light fishing, etc... once our schedules permit. I really like the older Hatteras (like the older boats in general, currently have a pristine 86 15' Whaler) and were considering the 43 DC. I am now thinking of a 41C Series I (67-71 in order to have the 400 gal fuel capacity). I like the layout, the inside helm for occasional use, nice cockpit, shallow draft, fewer steps than a ACMY, etc....

Any thoughts on the 41C as a coastal cruiser with occasional fishing duty? Do these early models have a good ride in beam and following seas? It will see minimal offshore duty but want to know what I will be dealing with.

Might even consider a refit (let's not get into the financial wisdom of a refit as I realize I will not see most of that money again). Will QSB 380's give this boat a 21-23k cruise speed or does this boat really need the QSC's?

Any major issues to be aware of? Will have an experienced surveyor, motor's surveyed, etc.... More interested in opinions on the boat, pros/cons of use as a cruiser, service access to mechanicals, and any other relevant comments. Thanks....

Re: 41C Series I as a cruising boat?

If you can live with the accomodattions the 41C is a fine boat for cruising. It is a good seaboat,a very fast hull design,compared to the newer 41C's or the 42C "not quite the heavy-seaboat they are" and I know for a fact that a pair of 5.9 6BT 330's will push it at a 21-22knot cruise. If you are a tall guy,you may not like it as it only has about 6'2" headroom though.
    Last edited by BUSTER; 02-03-2009 at 12:43 PM.
    Tony Cabral
    Hatteras 42C "BUSTER"
    Hope Town
    Abaco Bahamas
    42' POST / "GHOST MOVE"
    New London Ct

Egaito should respond to this one! He went from a 33' express cruiser to a 1968 41C with Cummins.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

Buster,

I am glad you mentioned head room as I am 6'3. Is the 6'2 headroom you mention in the saloon or forward cabin or both? I am determined that I will be able to stand to shower in our next boat. Any guess on the headroom in the head on the 41C?

Well I know where you are coming from,I'm 6'4" and the only reason I did not buy an older 41C years back was because I couldn't stand in the salon,I don't remember the clearance in the head..I liked the boat,it was fast and in nice shape,but I just couldn't deal with not being able to stand up in my next boat.

I waited and a few years and later bought a 42C.There is plenty of headroom everywhere,the boat is much more modern and a hell of a seaboat. Like everything in life there are compromises.....It is also very heavy and a bitch to push past 18 knots with anything less than 400 plus hp. engines.
    Tony Cabral
    Hatteras 42C "BUSTER"
    Hope Town
    Abaco Bahamas
    42' POST / "GHOST MOVE"
    New London Ct

I recently had a major refit at Slane Marine on a 1967 41C . At Their recommendation, I installed Cummins Remans 370"s. At 3000 rpm during seatrials with cummins rep we did 27+ knts. You can e-mail me and I will give you details and send photos. I couldn't be more pleased with the set up and would recommend you give them a call to discuss. I am 6 feet and while I would like more room, there is plenty for me to stand in salon and shower.
    Mike

Mike,

Sent you a private message with my e-mail address as I was unable to e-mail you. Thanks for the offer and I look forward to seeing pics and learning the details.

I have a 41C, 1968 that I did a major refurb/repower with. I used 3126Mechanical Cats, 420's and cruise 25 o 26kts at 32gph. I leave the boat at Treasure Cay, Abaco and cruise her around. It's a great hull, very efficient and it's also a fine sea boat. I have a large (2 7/8 tube) tower and she rolls in the trough.

If you'd be able to deal with the overhead issues (both meanings) I thnk you'd have a winner. If you do a refit, you need to see mine as a template.

Shark,

Thanks for the info and offer. I may take you and Mike both up on your generous offers to see your boats at some point.

One of the issues that is problematic is the forward engine room bulkhead. For the early years, Hatteras used more of a 90 degree junction from the very bottom of the forward bulkhead to the hull. That area is failure prone with a modern repower.

The cure is to glass a wedge, or triangular shaped piece at the bottom of the bulkhead which allows the glass to make that turn, thus distributing the load far differently that the original design.