Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: Turbo Leak 671 TI

Hey experts

I have removed all oil lines, clamps and nuts and bolts inorder to remove this turbo. However I am unable to break the connection between the turbo exhaust flange and exhaust elbow flange. I removed the v clamp and the two faces will simply not separate. Whats next? Heat? Suggestions please.

tx john
    J Dickson

The exhaust should pull away from the turbo if you have removed all of the support arms. It may also help to put a wet rag over to the joint to soften any Silkolene or other joint compound on the that joint.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Thanks Sky:

This joint is very tough. I even attempted to "lightly" persuade it with a medium duty paint scraper and hammer to no avail. I did not want to mar the faces so then I hit it with some PB Blaster and am hoping for some additional suggestions for next time I visit the boat. I believe the joint is probably original - 23 years of extreme heat. Any other ideas?
    Thanks!
    J Dickson

Getting those JT cast iron elbows off are really really difficult. If the elbow has age on it I usually end up breaking it out of the flange with a sledgehammer. Even if you get it out in one piece, the flange will be rough and the lip that holds the weight usually crumbles. If the elbow is fairly new, you have a chance having a machine shop heat and shock it.

Need reman quote sources.....

Ok, finally got the turbo removed with a 3lb dead blow hammer and a few choice words. The leak appears to be a burned out gasket. The square gasket between the turbo exhaust side and the exhaust manifold extension was missing a side. Anyway, took the turbo in for rebuild. The shop says no can do...the exhaust housing around the fan is corroded leaving too much space around the fan/impellor and they can't get it apart even with a 20 ton press.

So they quoted $1050 for a reman out of Louisville. Sound right? I have 671TIs, this was the original turbo 1985.

thanks

JD
    J Dickson

Sound Cheap. The last one I saw was about $1,800, and that's assuming the housing is good.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

7. Re: Turbo Leak 671 TI

$1050 is not bad especially if that's a NEW (not rebuilt) unit. The little Air Research ones on the 6v92 TTs (with the DUAL turbos) I've gotten as cheaply as $650 or so, but that's a smaller unit AND has been a rebuilt.
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

As I posted before, the turbo arm is warped! If you don't get it resurfaced you will have the new gasket blow also.

The price of $1050 is for a remanufactured Garrett. One year warranty. New turbo was quoted at $2,750.
    J Dickson

Okay, but is it a Garrett factory reman, or is it done by a local shop?

First of all, there's absolutely nothing wrong with a competent rebuild by a local place, but a factory turbo is likely to have, at the very least, a new cartridge. (That's the center rotating assembly.) Most of the factory "remans" that we see are new turbos.

If it's a factory unit, grab it. You'll never get a better price. If it's a local shop, and they're reputable, and willing to give you the same warranty as a factory unit it's probably still a good deal.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375