Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Re: Turbo Leak 671 TI

The last reliabuilt 5103838 turbo for that engine was 1082.64 in 11/08

Oops!!!

Okay, I'll trade you two apples for this orange here.

I checked the part numbers and Dave is right. The turbo I was working with was from a 6-71TIB. Ignore everything I said about the price. Sorry.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Okay, received the rebuilt turbo, had the exhaust manifold extension milled a couple thousands to remove corrosion. I have a few assembly questions - DD 671 TIs

1. Do I use anything on the turbo oil supply gaskets? Any sealer?
    2. Do I use the Silkolene only on the turbo to exhaust elbow connection? V Clamp setup.
    3. I have two metal gaskets, one for the exhaust manifold to extension connection(round metal folded over seam) and one for the extension to turbo connection(rectangular with a ridge in it). Any sealer or compound on those connections? Is there a preferred gasket direction in regards to the ridge or the folded seam?
    4. I would like to use some high temp bolt lub on the bolts holding the turbo to the exhaust extension and the allen screw/bolts holding the exhaust extension to the engine exhaust manifold. Product recommendations?

thanks john
    J Dickson

The oil supply should be threaded. I would use the threaded fitting and not the adapter plate. If you want to use the plate, I always assemble with a dry gasket. Ditto for the drain.

As I have mentioned before, the Silkolene formula has changed and everything I have used it on since the change has leaked within about 2 years. I would use some muffler sealer from the auto store for the elbow to turbo joint.

Get a CAT turbo base gasket for the turbo to arm connection and toss the shim GM gasket.

Use a new marmon clamp.

The gasket from manifold to arm goes on dry also.

5. Re: Turbo Leak 671 TI

If its gasketed you don't need (or want) Silkolene. That stuff is for places where you have a metal-to-metal seal and its imperfect (if its not imperfect it will seal itself within minutes due to very small amounts of carbon in the exhaust forming the seal.)
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

Quote Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
    If its gasketed you don't need (or want) Silkolene. That stuff is for places where you have a metal-to-metal seal and its imperfect (if its not imperfect it will seal itself within minutes due to very small amounts of carbon in the exhaust forming the seal.)

The question was about the metal to metal joint on the exhaust elbow to turbo.

What is the recommendation for the bolts, is there a high temp product to put on the bolts? Also, reading on boatdiesel.com it sounds like there should possibly be a gasket between the turbo and exhaust elbow in the counterbore flange? What say the experts?

tx john
    J Dickson

no gasket.

9. Re: Turbo Leak 671 TI

I use a little high-temp anti-seize on the flange bolts. It may not help but it won't hurt.

On the metal-to-metal joints I use a VERY SMALL amount of Silkolene. If there's a gasket, no sealer.

But I have some of the old stuff - if the reports of the formula change are true I have no idea if the new stuff is any good.
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

Quote Originally Posted by captddis View Post
    The oil supply should be threaded. I would use the threaded fitting and not the adapter plate. If you want to use the plate, I always assemble with a dry gasket. Ditto for the drain.

As I have mentioned before, the Silkolene formula has changed and everything I have used it on since the change has leaked within about 2 years. I would use some muffler sealer from the auto store for the elbow to turbo joint.

Get a CAT turbo base gasket for the turbo to arm connection and toss the shim GM gasket.

Use a new marmon clamp.

The gasket from manifold to arm goes on dry also.
    You wouldn't happen to know the part number for the Cat gasket would you.
    Thanks
    Chris