Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

43’ DC – Exhaust Hose Access

This year working hard on making sure everything below the waterline is up to snuff. Was reading past threads about exhaust hose and what a b*tch it is to replace (Genesis – still have those itchy hands from fiberglass?). Anyway, looked like minimum one should do is check hose clamps.

Anyone know best place to cut access hatch for a 43’ DC (1976) to get at exhaust hose in rear stateroom? Was thinking cutting access hatches in vertical sections of rear lockers behind beds (I have two single beds on port and starboard). Maybe it would be better to cut hatches into plywood supporting each mattress? Anyone been there – done that?

Re: 43’ DC – Exhaust Hose Access

Thought I would clarify an assumption - I assume the rubber exhaust hose extends all the way to stern under beds and connects to a short piece of fiberglass tube that extends out back for each engine just at water level. These are the clamps I want to inspect and possibily replace.

My acces for the stb side is right by the head on the face of the vanity. Removable panel a bear to get at the clamps but doable. Had a bad one when I bought the boat and yes they leak like crazy. Port acces is through the hanging locker again lift out panel in the bottom of the locker. Bill
    Bill Allen 1973 43 dc
    Brielle N.J.

Thanks Bill, I consider you the resident 43 expert. I know what areas you are talking about. Thought the hose just traveled thru these inspection areas and continued to the abyss under the beds. Do you remember what hoses connect to at these inspection areas? Do I need to be concerned with anything between stern and these inspection areas (ie - more hose or the like)?

Believe me when I say I can't hold a candle to most of the guys on this forum. Mine are 6" hose conect right there. Fiberglass the rest of the way, as far as I can tell no joints after that. Use good clamps and no worrys again. Although I do look once in a while even a little leak with all the water these things pump can real create a problem quite quickly. Bill
    Bill Allen 1973 43 dc
    Brielle N.J.

Sounds good - thanks again. You seem to know allot about the 43's. It's scary how much some of these guys (and girls) know - apparently about anything and everything - talk about a wonderfully colorful group. Most people wouldn't think so many Hatteras owners enjoy getting our hands as dirty as we do

I have owned 2 43's over a couple of dozen years. One was a 1973 model with 6/71Ns (with twin berths in the master), the other was a 1980 model with 6/71TIs (with centerline Queen in the master). Obviously the newer one had an easier job to access the exhaust system as the bottom of the port and stb. dressers had access doors to expose the full length from the stern forward. I think we had 2 mufflers on each side with 8" being the nominal size. The 73 model had 6" exhausts and since I had the boat around 25 years ago, I can't remember if it had 1 or 2 mufflers on each side.

The reason I'm going into this much detail is that Bill is absolutely correct when he stated that an exhaust failure can turn into a major disaster in short order. I recommend that you check out and VISUALLY check (use mirrors if necessary) the entire length to be certain whether you have any potential surprises in store. Perhaps some of the other 43 HOFers has current information. Whatever, but don't ignore at least an inspection.

Walt

Thanks Walt - appreciate that info and would also crown you another 43' expert based on contributions of past 43 post. Agreed about making sure the huge holes in the stern below the water line that gush hot corrosive sea water are properly waterproofed from the rest of boat. Since the fuel tanks extend with in 2" of the stern and no access ports on mine, reckon I will cut ones into bunk area if tubes are fiberglass since I will only be inspecting and not replacing any clamps in this currently inaccessible area.

I don't know if i'd start cutting up the boat to inspect the tube. You can see it somewhat from the acces holes. If your really concerned you can indeed use a mirror but you won't know the condition just if it's leaking or not. Cutting that paneling would bring tears to my eyes even the few holes I've drilled just kill me. Bill
    Bill Allen 1973 43 dc
    Brielle N.J.

I hear you - I'm really good at tearing sh*t up, but not very good at finish carpentry. Since I'm thinking inspection areas will either be under matresses or in the closets, it wouldn't be so bad. If I have good enough access where I don't have to I surely will not.

As an aside - The yard just quoted $4100 (with tax) to strip the bottom (sandpaper), barrier coat (10 mils - 5 to 6 gallons) and two ablative coats (4 gallons). Sounds fair to me, what do you guys think?