Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Loading Nobeltec

My old computer just went belly up. I replaced it last week and am now trying to load it with all the junk I had on the old machine. I'm having a problem with a really old version of Nobeltec, 4.1 I think (I've not found any reason to upgrade, the old version works great).

I keep getting an "resource error" message: "A required system resource (C:\Programs\Nobeltec\Charts\) cannot be accessed (Error Code 2). Visual series will attempt to restart."

It almost sounds like the software doesn't see the charts, but they're indeed loaded. I don't think this version of the software has the "3 strikes and you're out" limitation. Any ideas?

Dick

Re: Loading Nobeltec

Is the new machine running the same OS as the one that failed?

Best bet is to call their support line but I'm guessing anyone currently in the support group wasn't there when the 4.xx release was put out but it's worth a try.
    Tim

Ex 1978 53' YF owner

I think version 4 has been out at least 10 years. I ran it on two machines, Windows 2000 and XP. The XP machine is no longer, replaced by vista.

Dick,
    I have the answer to this problem. It only took me 10 hours to figure it out. I will be glad to save you the time and aggravation. It seems that some charts, especially ICW charts have "notes" on them. These are basically inserts with marina and launch ramp info on them. When you "register" the charts you want to load go through the list and de-select any chart with "Note" or "Cover" in the description. It seems that when the software attempts to fit the pieces of the map puzzle together these pieces do not fit anywhere and hang the program up. Additionally, on my version, 2.5, only .KAP charts will work. Hope this helps.
    Bill

If your trying to load an old nobeltec program into a computor with Vista it won't work.

Brian

I second Brian's comment on Vista. Windows 2000 is a good choice to run a real time navigation program. Not nearly as resource hungry as XP, and very stable at this time. You may want to/have someone install for you a dual boot loader and add W2K just for your navigation needs. Do not install any internet communications on the navigation system and you will be virus free and have a well performing system.

Second subject: Nobeltec VNS or Admiral Version 8. Anyone know where you can buy one of these? If I am correct, this is the only version that handled Maptech WF charts, NOAA vector charts, and NOAA raster charts. The new version 9 or Max Pro as it is labeled, does not have all this support. I refuse to get locked into their C-Map Pro only vector chart scheme to rip people off.

Pete

Bill: The problem wasn't with the charts. It was with the Nobeltec software itself. Brian and Pete have the right answer. I did some more surfing and found a note from Microsoft that the Vista OS doesn't support Nobeltec v. 4.

Thanks all.

Dick