Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Re: Naiad lower seal replacement

All you need is the jack bolt. Order direct from Naiad.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

Quote Originally Posted by Plan B2 View Post
    After reading a few more threads, I called and went ahead and purchased direct fro Niad in Connecticut. So, if you have a need within a reasonable distance from Memphis or Pickwick lake on the Tn river, I will have one in a few days.
    Does anyone have a picture of the fin Puller?

Quote Originally Posted by AUDUNIA View Post
    Does anyone have a picture of the fin Puller?
    It looks like a bolt. See photo

Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Next, we cleaned up the shafts and seal surfaces with some emory and some MEK to get the old caulk out. Yes, that's me pushing in the final seal.

Next the seal retainer plates went back on.

And finally, we put the fins back up on the tapered shafts and torqued the bolts. Hmmm, no pic of the completed job. But all and all about a 4-6 hour job with plenty of interruptions along the way. It was one of those rare projects that goes better than expected with minimal surprises.
    Always wondererd what you looked like. Nice job Sky. Thanks for the play by play instructions.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    Always wondererd what you looked like. Nice job Sky. Thanks for the play by play instructions.
    I looked a little younger there.
    Sky Cheney

I have a slight water leak on my port Niad stabilizer, which indicates the requirement of new seals. The question is: Are the bearings sealed bearings and unaffected by water or do the experts think that they may have to be replaced as well?
    One more: One of the previous posters mentioned $386 for the removal tool. Is that the price of that jack bolt??

Thanks in advance.
    Gary
    1984 53' MY Hull #625
    "JACE"

The jack bolt was that price several years ago. The bearings are pretty robust. Replacing them is a much bigger job. You could disconnect the everything up top to allow rotating the fins by hand. A bad bearing will be felt as resistance or notchiness while rotating.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamboat View Post
    I have a slight water leak on my port Niad stabilizer, which indicates the requirement of new seals. The question is: Are the bearings sealed bearings and unaffected by water or do the experts think that they may have to be replaced as well?
    One more: One of the previous posters mentioned $386 for the removal tool. Is that the price of that jack bolt??

Thanks in advance.
    Those seals should be replaced every 2-3 years. If they leak, water gets to the bearings, and while I have not experienced this, others say that that will require new bearing$. I make it a point to R&R the seals each time it is hauled for paint.

Bobk

One more question:

Are the rubber plugs in the bottom of the fins re-usable and how do you get them out. On my fins they are a couple of inches up inside the fin. How do you get them out without damaging them?

Thanks in advance.
    Gary
    1984 53' MY Hull #625
    "JACE"

The plugs are reusable. If they are stuck way up there, you may have to put a screw in them to have something to grab to pull them out.
    Sky Cheney