Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Re: Naiad lower seal replacement

SKY,
    PM sent earlier. I was having a difficult time finding this thread. Here is the question: Where does one acquire the special fin extration tool? Direct fro NIAD?
    Jim
    1984 53' MY
    'Plan B'

Quote Originally Posted by Plan B2 View Post
    SKY,
    PM sent earlier. I was having a difficult time finding this thread. Here is the question: Where does one acquire the special fin extration tool? Direct fro NIAD?
    I heard they would rent or loan them.

Bobk

After reading a few more threads, I called and went ahead and purchased direct fro Niad in Connecticut. So, if you have a need within a reasonable distance from Memphis or Pickwick lake on the Tn river, I will have one in a few days.
    Jim
    1984 53' MY
    'Plan B'

What is the cost?
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

Sorry. I missed the PM.

Yes, Naiad has the tool. It is just a hardened jack bolt.

Order the seals, the retainer ring and new screws for the ring as you may need them.

Getting the fin off is often the most difficult part. You will need a long extension on a 3/4" drive ratchet.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by Finalee View Post
    What is the cost?
    The cost is $386 for the tool.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

7. Re: Naiad lower seal replacement

The fins fit up on a locking taper - no keyway.
    With the centering pin in place, lift the fin up into position and barely snug the bolt. Measure from the center of the leading edge and trailing edge of the fin to the keel. Adjust the fin angle until both measurements are the same and tighten the bolt. Remove centering pin and you are done.

Quote Originally Posted by kelpy View Post
    The fins fit up on a locking taper - no keyway.
    With the centering pin in place, lift the fin up into position and barely snug the bolt. Measure from the center of the leading edge and trailing edge of the fin to the keel. Adjust the fin angle until both measurements are the same and tighten the bolt. Remove centering pin and you are done.
    If alignment is fine before you pull them off, just trace around them with a Sharpie onto the hull. Then line them back up with that outline and you don't have to measure everything.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

This is a very useful thread. I will be tearing mine down shortly. Good chance it will need bearings and races. If so I will continue where Sky left off.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

Appreciate if anyone knows where to buy the hardened steel bolt and the hard hydraulic tube that plugs into the bolt to jack the fin off the taper?