Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Re: Naiad lower seal replacement

Fin tool takes 1 1/8" socket and the fin bolt I can't remember off of the top of my head. It was larger like maybe 1 5/8".
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Good info thanks!!!

Brian

I pulled the insides out this weekend. I need to install new trunion bushings, new rod ends and new feedback assemblies.

The new rod ends look like a better design. Old one is on the left, new on the right.

And here is the old feedback assembly that leaked.

Sky Cheney

Here's the top plate with the new trunion bushing installed and ready to go back in.

I need to also say thanks to Chris for the pointers on the feedback assembly install.
    Sky Cheney

Be carefull with the feedback units if you insert them to far you go past the bore for the o ring and then destroy the oring if you pull it back. Shine a light in the set screw hole and insert slowly watching for the detent.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Degulis View Post
    Be carefull with the feedback units if you insert them to far you go past the bore for the o ring and then destroy the oring if you pull it back. Shine a light in the set screw hole and insert slowly watching for the detent.

Brian
    Thanks Brian. I did push it in just until I could see the detent for the set screw. I was, however, concerned that it didn't slide in as easily as the old one came out. I had to put a deep well socket and on back of it and give it a couple of taps to get it in there. I hope I didn't damage that o-ring. It never went past the detent hole, but I was really expecting to be able to slide it in by hand.
    Sky Cheney

Update: Talked to Naiad today. They advised that my installation of the feedback assembly should be just fine. They stated that the o-ring is only damaged when the assembly is pushed in past the detent, just as Brian described.

Wow you guys sure are smart on this site. How did you learn all of this stuff?
    Sky Cheney

Yeah they go in a little hard. I didn't try it but I bet you could simply replace the $2 seal on the old feedback units instead of the whole unit.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Degulis View Post
    Yeah they go in a little hard. I didn't try it but I bet you could simply replace the $2 seal on the old feedback units instead of the whole unit.

Brian

I did just that on a 53 in Sarasota a couple weeks ago. The lip seal on the shaft was a tight fit! Otherwise no big deal.

I asked about buying just the seal, but Naiad told me that the harded steel shaft running in the brass sleeve would probably have worn the sleeve. I know, they sell parts, but they talked me into buying the whole feedback assembly. Now that I see the part for myself, I think next time I'll just buy the seals.
    Sky Cheney