Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Battery boxes

Battery boxes

I’m in the process of redoing my generator room and want to reorganize my batteries to make room for 12v bankI thought about moving the 8v batteries closer together and using different boxes. The tops on my oem boxes don’t fit well and something needs to be done either replace them or modify the oem ones. What have others done?
    Pete. 1980 53 my. #575

Re: Battery boxes

I'm having the same issues. I was contemplating building a wood brace inside the box at the end of each box to hold the lids up. Mine keep collapsing on themselves when anything is laid on top of them. VERY interested in what others have done to remedy the issue as well.

I looked online and could find anything that is a exact fit. I might just fiberglass a box that can hold all four batteries in one box.
    Pete. 1980 53 my. #575

Quote Originally Posted by Toolsntoys View Post
    I looked online and could find anything that is a exact fit. I might just fiberglass a box that can hold all four batteries in one box.
    Maybe we have some miscommunications. My battery boxes are long, fiberglass, and hold 2 batteries.

I’ve got friends that ordered custom size plastic water tanks, cut the top off and added wood trim so the bottom and top sat together correctly. Looks great..
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I have two square boxes off of my 55 Convertible available.

I have two long ones for 2 batteries each and one more square for 4 batteries. For each, I made a wooden ledge to support the corners and glassed them in. I can now stand or sit on any of them without movement. This took care of the shrinking battery problem for me.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Rusty that’s a great idea. Thank you. My oem ones only fit two batteries but the tops fit like crap and I wanted to find a way to save space since I plan on adding a 12v bank
    Pete. 1980 53 my. #575

I had custom ones made out of black plastic by Duraweld in Florida. Same company made custom water tanks for me also.
    Shoe box lid on battery boxes, and mine hold three 4d batteries each. They support my 230# when I stand on the lid. I can post pictures if you like on weekend.
    Ray

1983 61CY 319

AnnaVal
    Jacksonville FL.

I pulled mine out, reglassed them, then painted with bedliner material inside and out.

The 32v boxes fit the OEM Rolls perfectly. If you use some other batteries, that may be part of the issue you're having.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI