Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Fixed CO2 Recertification: USCG Regs.

The question of recertification of fixed CO2 systems was recently discussed in another post. In researching the the issue on my own, I found it difficult to get a definitive answer. I submitted the question to a friend who forwarded the below.
    Sent: Thursday, February 8, 2018 1:28 PM
    To: Dxxxxxxx, Mxxxxxxxx C CDR <xxxxx@uscg.mil>
    Subject: RE: [Non-DoD Source] FW: A question for Mxxx

Good Afternoon CDR,

In accordance with 46 CFR 25.30-15, all fixed fire extinguishing systems installed on recreational vessels must be Coast Guard Approved. In order to maintain Coast Guard Approval, fixed firefighting systems must be inspected annually by a qualified servicing organization.

vr,
    Brian
    --
    Brian Mxxxx, CG Sector Mobile
    Marine Inspector Training Officer

The general consensus of the earlier thread was 5-10 years. I thought it would be useful to pass this along.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Re: Fixed CO2 Recertification: USCG Regs.

The problem I have with all the safety stuff and certifications is that the Coast Guard requirements in a lot of cases is for commercial vessels with no requirements for pleasure vessels so the default in surveys is to the commercial requirements, which as they should be are very strict and tough and maybe overkill for pleasure vessels. Take fire extinguishers the refillable commercial grade units that a lot of us have need to be inspected and tagged yearly, however the cheap throwaway types are good for 10 years with no inspection required. So to be really safe you should use the rifillables and get them inspected every year because that type has greater capacity than the throwaways. A lot of the companies that inspect the extinguishers use NFPT 10 requirements which are different than the Coast Guard. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

I just went through this last fall when having the three year survey for my insurance.
    I had two the fixed CO2 systems out of test for engine rooms and generator space.
    ten B1 extinguishers in test and one B2 out of test.
    Coast guard only wanted to see three B1's in current test to not risk a citation. If the fixed system had current test tags and or the B2 extinguisher, then they would have only required one or two of the B1's. I did get two different answers on the B1's. One was they have to have a current inspection tag, the other was no older than 10 years from date stamped on bottom.
    Turned out to be a mute point, as insurance required all installed firefighting equipment to be functional with current annual inspection up to date.
    Ray

1983 61CY 319

AnnaVal
    Jacksonville FL.

Right. And then there's the local fire marshal and county and municipal ordinances. I spend a small fortune each year complying. The disposable units aren't acceptable on my real commercial property. On the boat, I have 10 of the disposables. I also sticker them every Jan. showing I checked the gauge and beat them with a rubber mallet and listened for the media to shift.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

The coast guard couldn't do a proper inspection on the El Faro, what makes you think they are going to give the correct answer for pleasure craft?

I guess that CO2 auto release system won't work unless it's inspected every 365 days?
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Beats me. I asked a question to which no one seemed to have a definitive answer. Not being an inspected vessel, they're (USCG) not going to cite me. Being an insured vessel, I'm just doing my due diligence because I know an insurance company will look for any way to trip you up.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

This came up on our recent insurance survey. The inspection company wouldn’t tag because it our original auto CO2 system was disabled and a newer set of sensors and alarm were wired into the N2K. But when the alarm goes off, you have to pull the CO2 handle. The PO’s logic, as well as my mechanic is that you need to verify that there is a fire and you don’t want a very expensive false alarm to trash the engines. I am probably going to get a newer auto system. Any other opinions?
    Jerry B.
    "Sea Joy"
    Hull #318
    1977 58MY (Galley Up)
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL

While boarded a few years ago the Automtic fireboy in the ER was reading a little high. The boarding officer said that was a fail but he wasn't going to write it since we had a much larger number of hand helds than required. For some reason while hot that one always read high... they didn't look for tags on the handheld, just there were enough and thengauhe was green
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Jerry,

Trash an engine with a false release?

There's no reason a fire suppression system should damage the engines.

I've installed gas and diesel versions of more than one brand and type of suppressant.

The diesel system shuts the engines to prevent the engine from passing the suppressant before it can do it's job.

If it's designed and installed correctly there's nothing to worry about.

Also most systems I've seen have an override to restart the engines after discharge.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Jerry,

Trash an engine with a false release?

There's no reason a fire suppression system should damage the engines.

I've installed gas and diesel versions of more than one brand and type of suppressant.

The diesel system shuts the engines to prevent the engine from passing the suppressant before it can do it's job.

If it's designed and installed correctly there's nothing to worry about.

Also most systems I've seen have an override to restart the engines after discharge.
    Thanks Scott. Really good points. Yes, that is what the mech said "trash the engines" if they aren't shut down when the CO2 releases. Do you have a favorite system that you wouldn't mind suggesting?

Hey we moved the boat over to Palm Beach Gardens, so I'm getting closer! Do you ever make it down here be sure and let us know. We owe you lunch!
    Jerry B.
    "Sea Joy"
    Hull #318
    1977 58MY (Galley Up)
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL