Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Naiad lower seal replacement

Today I was able to replace both lower seals on my Naiads. It was a pretty easy job with help from Mark (Airpilot). First we pulled the fins:

Then we pulled off the seal retainers and the seals. The trick here is use a dry wall screw to get a grip on the seal and then pull them out with a pair of Visegrips.

The seals were in bad shape. The new seals are a white translucent color and the old ones looked like this:

Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Re: Naiad lower seal replacement

Next, we cleaned up the shafts and seal surfaces with some emory and some MEK to get the old caulk out. Yes, that's me pushing in the final seal.

Next the seal retainer plates went back on.

And finally, we put the fins back up on the tapered shafts and torqued the bolts. Hmmm, no pic of the completed job. But all and all about a 4-6 hour job with plenty of interruptions along the way. It was one of those rare projects that goes better than expected with minimal surprises.
    Last edited by SKYCHENEY; 12-27-2008 at 08:17 PM.
    Sky Cheney

Sky

Do you happen to know what the factory recommended replacement cycle for the Niad seals is?

Thanks
    Spin

Sky What's involved in pulling the fins off?

Brian

Sky
    Nice work. Next time I do mine I'll use the latex gloves too.

The experts suggest changing them every 2 to 3 years. I agree considering the relative low cost of the job and what the consequences are if you get water into the bearings.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Degulis View Post
    Sky What's involved in pulling the fins off?

Brian
    Brian,
    Pull out the rubber plugs then unscrew the bolt that holds the fin to the shaft. Next insert the puller tool into the shaft and tighten it until it jacks the fin off of the shaft. The puller tool is pictured above next to the fin. It is just a large hardened bolt.
    Sky Cheney

Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    Sky
    Nice work. Next time I do mine I'll use the latex gloves too.

The experts suggest changing them every 2 to 3 years. I agree considering the relative low cost of the job and what the consequences are if you get water into the bearings.

Chris
    Thanks for the tips, Chris. Now all I have left is to replace the feedback assemblies and the trunion bushings.
    Sky Cheney

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Brian,
    Pull out the rubber plugs then unscrew the bolt that holds the fin to the shaft. Next insert the puller tool into the shaft and tighten it until it jacks the fin off of the shaft. The puller tool is pictured above next to the fin. It is just a large hardened bolt.
    OK Sky it's making sense I've got the puller tool and didn't know what it was untill now. So the bolt that holds the fin on must be way up inside the fin since the shaft coming down looks pretty short?

I have to do this on my next haul so I'm trying to understand it

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Degulis View Post
    OK Sky it's making sense I've got the puller tool and didn't know what it was untill now. So the bolt that holds the fin on must be way up inside the fin since the shaft coming down looks pretty short?

I have to do this on my next haul so I'm trying to understand it

Brian
    Brian,
    You are correct. The fin bolt is way up there, but you can reach it with a socket and a mid-sized extension on a 3/4 drive rachet. The puller is of larger diameter and it threads into the same place to jack the fin off of the shaft.
    Sky Cheney

Sky Do you remember the size?

Brian