Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Satellite TV alternative

I do not watch that much TV, but having this really nice KVH satellite antenna and 30+ inch plasma TV that came with the boat, I felt compelled to purchase Direct TV (primarily for college football. Signed up for the middle package, 200 channes plus the sports package. I have tried to use it twice for football, and both times the games were not available due to the fact that the game was aired by the local network affiliate. For some reason local programming is not available here, and Direct tells me I might be able to get network programming, but it would be via either NY or CA stations.

It is a bit frustrationg to have purchased 232 channels and the Alabama / Florida game not be available on one of them. That leaves, I guess, the traditional antenna.

We had to leave a 3:00 for the Christmas on the River parade (see christmasbyriver.com) and I had assured our guests that I had satellite TV and we could watch the game. When I learned that was not the case, one of my sisters made a quick tripfor me to radio shack, and they did not have an antenna for boats, so like knots, if you can't buy a good one, buy several. She bought 3 on trial but none worked very well. We are between Mobile AL and Biloxi MS, about 30 miles from either and you would think that would be close enough.

What is the best choice in antennas for stations 30 to 40 miles away? Another reason for the post is to vent regarding my experience with Direct TV and perhaps warn others who like me, might assume that 232 channels would provide most anything you would expect from paid TV.
    Vincent

Re: Satellite TV alternative

Hey Vincent,

I get the local channels (abc, cbs, nbc, pbs etc...) using direct tv on my boat. On my Phillips reciever they are in the regular spots, (4,6,7,10) but down in my lower stateroom, on the Sony direct reciever the local channels are in the upper 980-995. I had to call Direct tv to figure it out. Are you sure you don't get some kind of regional feed? I'm sure there is an option to get some. I've been very happy with the college package and all the channels. I have to admit, my team, LSU was on regular tv every week.... makes me mad paying for it...

What about the new digital antennas coming out for the new digital transmissions? I saw the reception on a boat here in Miami the other day. It was like watching HD!

Cheers,

Captned
    MBMM
    Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

If you could register your directv at a friend or relative's address to avoid local black-outs. Directv doesn't allow us in Bermuda to have DTV, but a local electronics store had a US address to register our systems to. I can't remember which state, but it was in the eastern time zone, and the state didn't have many or any pro teams so black-outs weren't an issue. I guess DE or MD might be a good choice.
    '68 41'TCMY

Thanks for the input.
    I do not think it is a question of blackouts, rather they do not allow local channels, but in any case if I can change my address with them to a location which allows local access that would give me CBS football, etc. Since I already gave them one address I do not know if I can change it. It is incredible that I am paying for TV that is also paid for by me having to watch commercials.

Back to Capned's comments re digital antennae. That sounds good to me. It seems most logical for me to buy a good antenna if they will work in the 30 to 40 mile range. If I could get local service with Direct, I would have to pay them an additional amount. I'd rather pay once rather than pay even more to Direct but would like some assurance that the reception would be good.

Do you recall the names of those digital antennae or their vendors?

Vincent

Once again Vincent,,

I think you CAN get local channels. I seem to remember jumping through some hoops to get it, but I did. I'll see if I can find out some info for you. I grew up boating in your area. I'll see what I can find out. Check with some of your local boaters that have it.....

Cheers!

Captned
    MBMM
    Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

The best terrestrial omnidirectional antenna I've ever seen is the 14" Shakespeare...looks like a small flat horizontal disk that is slightly thicker on one end (kind of like the Millenium Falcon for any of your Star Wars fans). It has a booster/attenuater that comes with it. You mount that high up on your flybridge top and you'll get a GREAT picture with any new digital HD tuner in the new tvs. You don't get a good picture at all on the regular analog broadcasts (typically with lots of snow and static), but the new digital broadcasts are like sat tv -- you either get the whole picture clearly, or you don't get it at all and it will just freeze up until it restores reception. No snow or static...even on fringe areas where reception is marginal.

I was truly blown away by the quality. And unlike a KVH dome, you don't have to line up on anything since it's omnidirectional. You just need to be within reach of the station broadcasting.
    -- Paul

Thanks Paul,
    Do you recall a model number for the Shakespeare antenna?

I have satellite TV here at home in St Louis. For the cost of an "additional receiver" ($5.00) I can also get reception in my boat, wherever it may be. But I only get the coverage I have at home. So in 1996 when I first got this service I was able to get both the east and west coast feeds of the major broadcasters. Then sometime later St Louis got "local service" which then meant I could get all of these, anywhere in the USA. Then DirecTV started "spot broadcasting" as more cities were converted to local programming, which I believe was required by the FCC. I lost both the national feeds, which you can only get if ALL your local channels will grant you a waiver (don't want to lose the ad income). In St Louis only one of the five or six local stations even answered my written request for the waiver. And they said no. If you travel very far from home you get outside the range of the spot. So I don't get my locals anywhere else. Even if I did get them, if my local broadcast is blacked out (if game is not sold out by the day before) the game would not be seen. But it would not be seen on a standard tv antenna either under this circumstance, either.

I don't see any extra charge on my Directv bill (www.directv.com search on "local channels") for your area, and I believe the satellite providers have to provide them as a condition of being able to broadcast the networks. What you can receive seems to be governed entirely by your satellite billing address. I looked into getting Miami stations last year, but was told it would take eight weeks to process and I would have to get the bill mailed to me there, which wouldn't work without too much trouble. Besides, I never watch network tv at home, so who needs it? After not getting replies for my waiver I'm boycotting them. (My grown daughter likes to watch the televised awards which are on around spring break--let her go ashore!)

US satellite companies are only licensed to broadcast to us when we are within the USA. So don't ever tell them you are somewhere outside the US if you have a problem or want to buy a pay per view show. I don't think they can tell where you are unless you say so. I heard from one guy who called, said he was in the Bahamas, and was immediately disconnected. He called back the next day and said he was now in FL and they turned him on again. I have heard they do not have caller ID. I have also heard that an 18 in. dish, slightly larger than usual, works at least as far SE as Georgetown, Great Exuma I., Bahamas. I have recently heard that if you have an RV you can qualify for the national network feeds, but not so if you have a boat. Again, how will they know?
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

Fanfare....

Same usage for me. We have one receiver on the boat (DirectTV) and the other at home getting Detroit as our "locals". Whenever we went to the boat in Miami, we'd call DirectTV and change our service address to the Miami marina address and presto! ---we now had Miami as our "locals".

As we boated north last spring, I would call periodically and give a new "service location" so as to continue receiving network broadcasts.

We have a KVH-C3 system.

Years ago, our network channels were (as I recall), Seattle and New York though we were in Marco Island. We could only get the local feed if we could establish that we could not otherwise receive local channels (an affidavit was required). Based upon recent experience as described, that is obviously no longer required.

In my experience, the "spot beaming" of local networks has a range of about 100 miles depending on the area and market --greater range when the markets are more widely dispersed.

I remain interested in the issue of satellite coverage and appreciate the information; however I do not want to miss another game.

I have deceded to add a non satellite antenna. The local electronics supply has two Shakespeare "Seawatch" (made by Winegard) models a 20+ inch diameter model 2030 and a 14 inch model 2020(?). Same price for either, and since neither will add to the looks of the boat, the smaller one would be my preference. On the other hand the whole purpose is reception, Is bigger better?
    Vincent