Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hot tub on 53MY?

One of the tings the Admiral and I will miss most when we move out of the house and onto the boat full time in the sping is our hot tub. So...that got me thinking...what about putting one on Saraswati? I'm thinking one of those small 1-2 person round soft-side ones like this:

But...the question is...weight...can it be supported? Looks like it would weigh about 1,300 pounds filled but without anyone in it. Think a 53MY can support it? Where would the best place to put it be? Of course it would get emptied before moving the boat out of the slip and would only be used when at the dock.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by stormchaser; 12-11-2008 at 02:59 PM. Reason: typos
    Dave
    "Saraswati" - 1980 53MY
    Galesville, MD

Re: Hot tub on 53MY?

Dave:

Suggestion on this.

1: Take the gallon capacity of the tub figure 8lbs per gallon
    2. Measure empty weight
    3. Add in your and the Admiral's weight

Come up with a deadload number.

Then talk to people at the Hatteras factory. They can give you some guidance. If you assume 110 gallons plus 100 pounds for the tub plus you two you are looking at 1500 lbs or about 7 good size hatt owners.

Spin

Dave:

If you do this you really need to post pictures!

Spin

Spin's got the right idea. I wouldn't put that on the flybridge. The heaviest dinghy's are usually 1k lbs but usually 600-800lbs I believe. The aft deck would be the only place I can imagine (other than the salon LOL) that can hold the weight. Just think of the dozen+ people you've had on the aft deck before with no problem.

The weight I posted was from the manufactuerer for a "full" tub. The tub itself is very light. I was thinking aft deck or foredeck...hopefully foredeck as I'd like to keep the aft deck for regular seating. Anyone have the "right" number to call...and who to ask for at Hatteras? I am very serious bout doing this...if she can take the weight.
    Dave
    "Saraswati" - 1980 53MY
    Galesville, MD

my neighbor has one of these on the aft deck of his Defever 49... if a defever can stand the weight i think the hatt will be fine. Indeed it's "just" the weight of 6 or 7 adults men...

i doubt Hatteras will give you a definite answer on this, the bow is probably the best spot... itr may be worth modifying the bow hatch to a low profile a fit the tub on top. with less beam and and bulkheads closer to gether comparted to the stern, it shouldn't be a problem

i know someone with a 1510 who has a kiddie pool on her sundpad...
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Google "Yachtub", That might be a solution.

I put a 8'x8' Hot tub on my the deck of my house which is about 30' off the ground, I was worried about the weight/height, so when asking the carpenter "is this safe?" He said "a hot tub weighs no more per sq. ft. then a fridge/freeze does" ?? I have had a couple Hot tubs on all kinds of decking with no problems! But none of my decks were floating!!

Thanks LENZ

Ps. Not sure of what year fridge he was talking about either..

I have a swimming pool on my sun deck during the summer. In the morning, it's swimming pool; by the time the afternoon rolls around in Miami, it's a hot tub. Oh well, what I care about is that it's FRESH water. I do not like salt water! I can say that when I have the pool filled, and positioned off center towards the starboard side, that is the only time the boat is completely level....ballast!
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mike36c View Post
    Google "Yachtub", That might be a solution.
    That's really cool! Sadly, Baltimore's harbor water is not nearly clean enough for that. Might work well in a pristine environment, but in a typical big city harbor? Gross.
    Dave
    "Saraswati" - 1980 53MY
    Galesville, MD