Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Zinc Guppy/Grouper: Where to attach on a 53MY?

Heres an idea. permanently mount the zinc to your dock, install the bonded stud in the cockpit as mentioned in a previous reply, then connect your boat to the dock mounted zinc via a cable you create with small clamps on either end, just the right lenght of course. Why go through this hassle and not just drop the guppie over the side? I've seen too many people forget the guppie is there and back out of the slip with it in place only to wreak havoc getting spun around one of the wheels. the guppies certainly arent as apparent as a bright yellow shore power cord or water hose, the're just a small diameter stranded cable with clear vinyl. Easy to overlook. just food for thought.

ummmm bonding system.... Not anymore a PO removed it
    Noel Russell
    40' MY Aft Cabin
    Lincoln Harbor NJ

3. Re: Zinc Guppy/Grouper: Where to attach on a 53MY?

Boston has a good point: never deploy the auxiliary zinc so low in the water that it can become fouled in a prop...it should be about 3 ft under water, at about the depth of the props, either port or starboard side or center stern behind the swim platform, and then it CANNNOT get fouled in a prop.

Another safe approach is to wrap the grounding cable to the "guppy" around a cleat and over a dock line knot...then it has to be moved to undo the dockline befopre you depart.
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

Don't mean to hi-jack your thread but this pertains so thought I would ask here. Was thinking of adding permanent type block O' zinc to transom. Was checking out a few in the boat yard yesterday to see how it was done and found two boats that had them.

Is all you do is use two bronze silicone screws thru transom, attach one screw to bonding system and attach zinc to screws?

I noticed one boat had nylon washers on the screw between the zincs. Can't imagine there was nylon sleeve as this would totally electrically isolate zinc from bonding system. Are nylon washers used so zinc does not corrode away from mounting nuts and come loose? Anyone know the proper mounting procedure for block O' zinc?

SGHarfords desire to mount the zinc block on the transom was one I used to share. Post does it as well as some sterndrive boats. I discovered that the zinc should 'see' the metal it is protecting. . smaller zincs placed around under the boat ie couple of streamlined on each shaft, collar zincs in front of each wheel, rudder zincs etc , will do more protection than one big chunk. also if you use stainless or bronze bolts to mount the chunk of zinc, the zinc will do a very good job of protecting the bolt where they touch each other, in other words the zinc will dissolve around the bolt leaving it loose unless you buy one with a cast in more noble mounting bracket. I decided to save my money for something else. btw zinc doesn't protect from stray current corrosion only galvanic