Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Zinc Guppy/Grouper: Where to attach on a 53MY?

Got myself a zinc Grouper...but where's a good atachment point on a 53my that is clsoe enough to the water so that the cable will actually be long enough to get it in the water? I know it should be atached to something connected to the bonding system...but for the life of me, I can't think of anything within easy reach? Thoughts?
    Dave
    "Saraswati" - 1980 53MY
    Galesville, MD

2. Re: Zinc Guppy/Grouper: Where to attach on a 53MY?

On my 48 YF, I added a length of cable from "down under" from the bonding system to my cockpit interior and left a stud with a wing nut there for easy attachment to a "guppy". It's a good idea to have the zinc mass at the rear of the boat and about the depth of your props/rudders...the closer to all that metal you want protected, the better.
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

Re: Zinc Guppy/Grouper: Where to attach on a 53MY?

Hummm...wonder if I should "bond" the swim platform mounts then jsut clamp the guppy to the swim platform mounts? With her being a FD, I don't have a cockpit to easily add a bonding point to.
    Dave
    "Saraswati" - 1980 53MY
    Galesville, MD

why are you installing an extra zinc on the boat?
    Roger Wetherington
    252-670-4819 rwetheringt@centurylink.net
    Sam's Marine
    www.samsmarine.com

Figured with her being in the slip a lot, it couldnt hurt...and would reduce the consumption of the shaft and rudder zincs? The PO said that zincs were lasting under a year on her...and that seems crazy to me...maybe it was a localized problem at his marina...on my trawler, they'd last 2-3 years. Granted she had not only a shaft zinc and rudder zinc, but also had a plate zinc on the hull. Saraswati has 2 colar zincs on each shaft plus the rudder zincs. How long SHOULD they last?
    Dave
    "Saraswati" - 1980 53MY
    Galesville, MD

asking how long a zinic should ask is like asking how many licks in a tosstie pop. It depands on the marina and the boats around you. adding zinics can hurt you if you over zinic, but in your case I think you will be ok to add the fish. take it to the bonding strap and make sure you have a good connection. soider the connetion to the bond strap.
    Roger Wetherington
    252-670-4819 rwetheringt@centurylink.net
    Sam's Marine
    www.samsmarine.com