Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Save the Hatt!

Re: Save the Hatt!

Quote Originally Posted by MicroKap View Post
    Glad to hear you are all okay. So, first rule...don't break windows in a boat until you have working fire hoses.
    Larry,

I almost feel the need to take a firefighting class for boats now. Actually, you need to know the 3 legs of the fire triangle. If only 2 of the 3 are present, no fire should be present, However the minute the third leg is introduced....

Also, note that the fire department is not trained in boat fires, for them, adding all legs to the triangle is normal (it seems from what I saw). This way they can fight it easier I believe.

However, I learned how fast fiberglass can go up and...

Noel
    Noel Russell
    40' MY Aft Cabin
    Lincoln Harbor NJ

Quote Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
    WHY the first priority wasn't to get uninvolved boats the hell out of there is beyond me, although perhaps the sailboat grounding answers that question....

First Priority was to try and get in to see if the owner was aboard! After the flames broke out it was to get the firefighters off.

I do not think the Dockmaster even thought of any other boats. And then he too was stuck on the wrong side of the fire when it broke out. But he was an ass on the sailboat.

He was telling the captain/owner and crew what to do, and then when we got stuck jumped off and ran to a dinghy right away. leaving everyone else behind (note to self, Dockmaster must be watched in a crisis)
    Noel Russell
    40' MY Aft Cabin
    Lincoln Harbor NJ

3. Re: Save the Hatt!

Breaking out windows without working hoses was a huge mistake.

You can't fight a fire without access (which means breaking windows and letting oxygen in) but you also can't fight a fire without WATER!

Seems that someone had the cart before the horse here...... glad it didn't result in more of a tragedy than what occurred....
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

Now waiting until you had water is a good point. LOL, I am sure Hartz Mountain and the Marina's Owner are going to hear about that big time.

As for carts, they never used any :P
    Noel Russell
    40' MY Aft Cabin
    Lincoln Harbor NJ

How safe can anyone, especially a liveaboard, feel on a dock without water for this very reason?

I suppose it may be common to shut off the water to the docks up north in the winter, but I darn sure wouldn't want to be living on one that has no water for firefighting purposes.

I'm glad no one was injured in the ordeal.

Noel, just curious...does this event change the way you feel about livingaboard up north in the winter where common practice is to shut off water for the winter? I'm just curious as to how perceptions can change when such a tragedy occurs so close to you.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

Angela,

For now we are just thankful nobody got hurt. The way I look at it is this was almost the same as an apartment fire in NYC that was smoldering. No other way I can look at it.

Now as for the water situation... I know of no good reason for the 6"standpipes to not have had water pressure when needed. I am wondering what the final outcome of this will be too.

In the meantime I am looking for training in marine firefighting so next time (I do hope never again) I will be much better prepared. Sometimes it can be scary what we do in situations like this. That said, I do not regret running over either. Just now in the light of day, not smart getting caught on the wrong side of the dock either.

But major Kudo's to the firefighters and boats (NYPD, NHF&R, FDNY and USCG) for their selfless acts in this tragedy.
    Noel Russell
    40' MY Aft Cabin
    Lincoln Harbor NJ

There is some good material in the USCG Master's course about fire fighting and suppression. Probably not enough to fight a fire, but certainly enough to consider the basics when considering a "crisis" situation.
    Timothy Rogers
    1981 56' FDMY
    "Fun@Sea.Calm"

yes there is, and I can post the info from my books if people are interested, but it still is not the same as some type of "formal" training
    Noel Russell
    40' MY Aft Cabin
    Lincoln Harbor NJ

Quote Originally Posted by nyrussell View Post
    yes there is, and I can post the info from my books if people are interested, but it still is not the same as some type of "formal" training

Noel, first of all let me say that I am very glad that you and your family are safe and that nobody bot hurt. This has made me think of what little I know about firefighting on board. I would love to see whatever your books may have to help be more prepared to deal with the dreaded fire on board.

You have alot to be thankful for this holiday season!

Noel, glad you and the family are OK. Things like this event sure put things in perspective. We should all count our blessings. Best Regards, Bob K