Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Most Absurd Price Ever Quoted

Just read about a $50+ rail latch pin over on another thread. Small stuff compared to my $89.95 quote from L B Harvey for a 4" round black and white vinyl sticker (spot light control). So, for now I will claim the crown for most absurd part price (quote or purchase) for a mature Hatteras. How about others? Anyone want to compete for the crown (virtual)?

Pete

Re: Most Absurd Price Ever Quoted

$125 for ONE spark plug wire, for a car I no longer own. Guess why....

Nice try Jim but cars don't count, Pete said "mature Hatteras"

Walt

By now, I think I've gotten used to the price for old Hatteras parts. The first time I asked for a price on anything "Hatteras" was when I first got the boat and the yard had broken one of my engine room door latches. The price was somewhere in the $70 range, as I recall, for a stupid door latch - it's not even PRETTY! I was shocked. Guess what...JB Weld! I think I'll just glue that back together. LOL

Well, since then, I've laid out $700 for a tiny ice maker, $600 for two 32v blowers, 3 "poop grinders" at $600 each, an unmentionable amount of money on air conditioning, around $2,000 for a COMPACT washer/dryer set, plywood at $150/sheet ('cuz it's double sided teak), $50/can for varnish, and I hate to varnish....and the list goes on and doesn't even start to get into "the yard." Gee, I can't wait to start adding redundant systems! Welcome to the world of Hatteras ownership. I have to say, though, I knew going in that a Hatteras was the most expensive boat to maintain, and yet, I walked through that door anyway.

So, I'm not complaining, really, I'm just used to hearing those kinds of quotes for what appear to be silly little things...sometimes silly little NECESSARY things! Every now and then I find a jewel, like the wine cooler I found for $40 and two complete vacuflush systems for $1,500 for both, but those are few and far between.

But yes, you get the crown for the sticker for your spotlight.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

The crazy prices are mostly for the original OEM stuff. The prices are like that because there is a very small demand and even smaller supply. On most 20+ year old boats OEM parts are simply not available. So you have to ask yourself which is better? Pay a lot but be able to get it or just not be able to get it at any price?

Brian

How about over $5/gal of diesel earlier this year. Does that count?
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I saw the post about the $50 latch pin as well but didn't see the price as unrealistic at all. How often do you get to fix something on your old Hatt for $50?

Another thing some people don't think about with 20+ year old OEM parts pricing is what it cost to sit on that part for 20+ years. Let's say that part cost $15 way back when. You do the math.

As for complaining about an $89 sticker for a spotlight, sorry, can't sympathize with you on that one. I guess you could always come up with a photo of the original sticker, scan it, find yourself a copy machine you can dowload the image into which will transfer the image to a sheet of vinyl, cut out the sticker and glue it on. That should save you about, oh, nothing. But you'll have the satisfaction of a new sticker on your spotlight so you can once again see where you're going.

Sorry Sparky, no amount of sarcasm will change my mind on the $89.95 sticker. Like most, I look at value more than price. These stickers cost less than a dollar to replicate, after a die charge of maybe $50 dollars. And yes, someone had to scan the original into the computer. Their price for one sticker covers the entire investment. I just bought some plastic labels for my mature Hatteras for Sam's for $3 to $5 each that cost more to make than a vinyl sticker and have a greater set up charge, if it was required. L B Harvey tried to rip me off, plain and simple. Need I mention where I suggest they put their stickers?

Pete

I see stupid prices on stuff every day. I was in gander mountain....you know them foam blocks that people use as archery targets? $60. It's a bunch of foam, shrinkwrapped togeter with a target stenciled on it.

Go to staples and see what they charge for filing envelopes ($12 for 15 hang type), plastic portable small filing boxes ($17) etc. I can buy a DVD player or computer printer for almost the same price as some hunk of plastic---both made in china LOL.

I can buy a prepaid cellular telephone cheaper than I can buy lumber.

The item that got my attention was the plastic spray gaurds for the shaft log. It was around 70.00! They break any time you adjust the log and are about as durable as a plastic milk carton.